How fast can I safely drop Alk?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I do plenty of stupid stuff.

My wife took this one a few days ago. Not the best but most current FTS I have. The setosa and stylo down in front are mounted now.
D74B05D7-0235-44B3-BF52-EFDA9B9712CD.jpeg
I see no way your alk is increasing without dosing, sorry

Chriokid79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I do plenty of stupid stuff.

My wife took this one a few days ago. Not the best but most current FTS I have. The setosa and stylo down in front are mounted now.
D74B05D7-0235-44B3-BF52-EFDA9B9712CD.jpeg
That is strange your alk is increasing. I see your frustration. I dont have half that in coral and I dose 4ml a day of alk.

Attachments

• IMG_20221122_165148617_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221122_165148617_HDR.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
AFHokie

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is strange your alk is increasing. I see your frustration. I dont have half that in coral and I dose 4ml a day of alk.
Yes it’s been really frustrating. Earlier in the tank’s life I was dosing AFR because it was using alkalinity. About two months or so ago is when that changed.

After all this discussion one thing I’m going to do tomorrow is check, dump, and clean my ATO reservoir. I never thought about it but if it got contaminated somehow that would cause my problem. I checked the water going into it, but haven’t after it’s already been in there.

This has definitely one of the more frustrating things with this tank since it defies all explanation and logic.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve recently heard something about peoples tap water having alk in it that gets past rodi system and when used as top off it raises alk
i experience this issue myself now that I’m living in the Midwest (Missouri) I moved here 1.5 years ago and at first I wasn’t sure why I was experiencing rising dkh levels in all of my reef aquariums. After some time had gone by and I kept searching for the issue I realized that if I’m not changing my rodi filters at the 3.5 month mark the filtered water will begin to contain alkaline. The levels get worse fairly quick by the week from that point on. I lived in pa near Philly and I lived in SoCal before living here and made rodi water myself in both states and I’ve been keeping reef tanks for about 14yrs now and this is the first I’ve personally ever dealt with anything like this. It was a very frustrating issue but I’ve incorporated steps into my maintenance routines to help reduce the risks of causing any major swings in my aquariums. But yes I definitely feel it’s something worth noting publicly simply because I never knew this was something ppl dealt with until i moved to this location. Im using city water even tho I’m out in the country, I was close enough to have that option so I’m not sure if it’s due to all of the plumbing being new and because this property was just raw land that contained lime stone previously? Im hoping that eventually this will fade away over time but it could very well be the way that it is here i havnt been here long enough to tell at this point. It’s a frustrating situation to work around at times especially when you are dealing with a newer tank that doesn’t experience a lot of alk consumption.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back