OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slow step is not the removal of phosphate from the water, but the removal of it from calcium carbonate surfaces, some of which may be deeper down in sand and pores and may keep coming out for an extended period.
yeah its leaching from my rock i know that but i need it gone fast so that i can add coral then ill worry about it leaching from my rocks a different day

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After discussing with Randy, I'm no longer using PhosGuard or if used then along with CupriSorb to remove any trace of aluminum. Now I'm just using Lanthanum Chloride which is easier for me to dial in or just rely on carbon dosing over a longer time. LC for emergencies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah its leaching from my rock i know that but i need it gone fast so that i can add coral then ill worry about it leaching from my rocks a different day

Just pointing out that if you drop it to 0.05 ppm, and wait 24 h, it might pop back up close to where it started.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because if things are used to numbers being high, and you all of a sudden plummet them it can effect them. You're better off taking it smooth over a number of days then all of a sudden bottoming out your phos in one day.
i have nothing in the tank

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to think Fe release from GFO or Al release from phosguard is better or worse side effect than the other?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so my phosphates are 0.6 i want them like 0.05 i don't have anything in the tank so no need to take it slow
i have overdosed the phosguard how fast could i possibly get from 0.6 to 0.05
You want it to be gradual, not fast especially allowing you to monitor level. Too fast and you can end up at Zero and then acquire dino

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to think Fe release from GFO or Al release from phosguard is better or worse side effect than the other?

the dsr method doses lots of iron to bind phosphate, and Red Sea recommends a very high iron level.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m under the assumption that iron doesn’t tend to accumulate because many organisms that we keep can readily consume and require iron. Randy even recommends dosing iron in tanks housing macroalgae.

Most of the data have a negative correlation between aluminum and organisms.

I could be mistaken, so please enlighten me if my assumption is not correct/complete.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the dsr method doses lots of iron to bind phosphate, and Red Sea recommends a very high iron level.
True.
Plenty of successful systems with adding high amounts of Fe and some reasons to do so. Nobody adds high Al on purpose, nor would there be a rationale for it.

Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m under the assumption that iron doesn’t tend to accumulate because many organisms that we keep can readily consume and require iron. Randy even recommends dosing iron in tanks housing macroalgae.

Most of the data have a negative correlation between aluminum and organisms.
yep, organisms like it, and also saltwater kinda holds Fe poorly.
Plenty of solid Fe can be found in my sandbed (precipitated out over time perhaps). And Dan once dosed Fe and measured it rapidly depleting from the water and concentrating in skimmate. (Bound to skimmable organics possibly).

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high surface area of the sand may be holding more than the rocks in your tank.
maybe but i am hopeful it was just that 1 rock that was only in like 1 or 2 weeks on another note my phosphate is from 0.6 to 0.21 in 24 hours i love phosguard and would recommend it to any 1

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back