How "full" do you keep your sumps?

VashonBigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to maximize my water volume. It is pretty high in the sump and can easily handle all pumps being turned off, etc. That said, when the pumps turn off the water level get above the plastic ring on the top of filter socks. Is that going to be a problem or is that normal?

jviv1014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect
I am trying to maximize my water volume. It is pretty high in the sump and can easily handle all pumps being turned off, etc. That said, when the pumps turn off the water level get above the plastic ring on the top of filter socks. Is that going to be a problem or is that normal?
perfectly fine

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be OK that the water is above the sock ring..... I think the potential issue is stuff coming out of your sock when the water goes over the top. Not sure if it would happen, but that's the only issue I see.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, you want the water to flow through your sump. Depending on the sump and how it’s laid out will really decide on what level is best for it.

Most sumps will only have 1 spot where the level is supposed to change. That’s the section where the return pump is located. This is also where you would add water for topping off the sump.

In my sump my water flows from high to low sections. The sock section is highest, then the refugium section, then the skimmer section and finally the return pump section. The water level changes between each section and water flowing and breaking adds oxygen.

When you shut off pumps water filling your sump and overflowing one section or the other is perfectly normal and not a concern. As long as it doesn’t overflow the edges onto your floor, you’re good. ;)

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be OK that the water is above the sock ring..... I think the potential issue is stuff coming out of your sock when the water goes over the top. Not sure if it would happen, but that's the only issue I see.
sorta like that, on my setup, sometimes a piece of macro will end up over the baffle cause the water raises and lowers there, but its not a huge deal.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally want the top of the filter socks to stay out of the water. I would not want crap to rise inside the sock and leak out every time I stopped circulation. You could consider lifting the brackets that hold the socks perhaps? Maxing the water volume is good but leave yourself some "wiggle room" to avoid accidental floods....!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like an inch or two of room to allow for unexpected events that might happen during maintenance or overfilling the AtO, or ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have established a safe water level after shutting off pump and seeing where it ended up in height in sump. Currently I have about 100 gals of water in my 140g sump

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6.5" in my 40 breeder no baffle sump of my 120.
20200214_212405.jpg

Kris B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except in cases like mine where my coast to coast overflow has close to 20 gallons in it and when the pump is shut down during feeding and h2o changes a check valve won't keep that from happening
Throw a check valve on the return. Never have to worry about backflow again.
Except in cases like mine where my coast to coast overflow has close to 20 gallons in it and when the pump is shut down during feeding and h2o changes a check valve won't keep that from happening

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why wouldn't a check valve work here?

As to the original question, how much of a difference in gallons is it going to make for you? With that number, did you increase the capacity appreciably? How much capacity did you gain? 1%, 2%, 5%?

Last edited:

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

except for the fact that the check valve advice wasn’t given to you. So your reply is not even relevant.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back