How hard are clams to keep?

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, the main issue is (or at least used to be) getting one that is pest free. Apart from that, clams are pretty hardy. Most these days seem pretty clean compared to the wild ones from 10 years ago. Pests that are a problem are pyramid snails, Perkinsus, and large mollusc-eating polyclad flatworms.

OP
OP
Jcagle09

Jcagle09

BEE HAPPY!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, the main issue is (or at least used to be) getting one that is pest free. Apart from that, clams are pretty hardy. Most these days seem pretty clean compared to the wild ones from 10 years ago. Pests that are a problem are pyramid snails, Perkinsus, and large mollusc-eating polyclad flatworms.

Ok, thank you.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one that are acucultured and doing well. I dose phytoplankton daily to feed pods and coral food weekly that contains zooplankton. Keep iodine at .06. If your tank is stable get one from a place where they are acucaltured....

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point of a tanks life is it safe to get a clam?
Once the tank has some maturity, chemistry is consistent with good lighting then you can try a clam. I always recommend tridacna squamosa or derasa for the first time as they don't require as much intense lighting as a maxima or crocea. A reliable source for healthy tridacna is important. If you buy healthy clams and provide their specific needs then you'll find most tridacna are hardy.

CreatiVe2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pacificeastaquaculture.com Best place I know of for clams and Dr Mac has a good video on care.

I just received 2 clams from pacificeastaquaculture.com. They are impeccable and opened right up minutes in the tank. Both are around 2.5 inches too. I have ordered from them in the past and have had their clams for years. All aquacultured.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See Posiedon reef systems web site. I use their system for producing phytoplankton and copods.

20191121_093625.jpg

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you dip or medicate clams?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do clams handle high flow that usually come with SPS tanks?
Clams can handle random high flow in short periods but typically if the flow is strong/constant enough to cause the clam to remain contracted then that will inhibit it's ability for photosynthesis. Moderate indirect flow usually is best.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back