How hard are clams to keep?

ColoradoBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Gigas and a Maximus and put them in a 6 week old tank. That was about 4 months ago and they're both doing very well. I wouldn't recommend that for the beginner but it can be done. I would agree with getting aqua-cultured ones, I got mine from AlgaeBarn. I would also agree with keeping the Iodine at 0.06 or there about. I think that may actually be the "secret sauce" for a lot of corals that people have trouble keeping, such as Zoes as well.
You obviously need to keep a very stable parameters for everything else- salinity, temp, alk, calcium, pH. They also love lots of light and moderate flow. I also feed my plankton daily but I've read that's not entirely necessary. Mine were about 1 1/2" each when I got them and they've probably tripled in the last 4 months.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Gigas and a Maximus and put them in a 6 week old tank. That was about 4 months ago and they're both doing very well. I wouldn't recommend that for the beginner but it can be done. I would agree with getting aqua-cultured ones, I got mine from AlgaeBarn. I would also agree with keeping the Iodine at 0.06 or there about. I think that may actually be the "secret sauce" for a lot of corals that people have trouble keeping, such as Zoes as well.
You obviously need to keep a very stable parameters for everything else- salinity, temp, alk, calcium, pH. They also love lots of light and moderate flow. I also feed my plankton daily but I've read that's not entirely necessary. Mine were about 1 1/2" each when I got them and they've probably tripled in the last 4 months.
That is a good report. And great growth. I dose home grown live plankton daily at about 15 to 20 ml in 91 gallon system (70 to 75 gallon after rock sand displacement) and that helps copods ...

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a ton of growth!

ColoradoBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good report. And great growth. I dose home grown live plankton daily at about 15 to 20 ml in 91 gallon system (70 to 75 gallon after rock sand displacement) and that helps copods ...
I dose about the same- 15ml a day in an 80 gallon system. I'll try to take a pic tonight, it's really been amazing the amount of growth I've had.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82BE95C6-4C46-4AD0-ADD6-D9718D038809.jpeg

Sqamy and Dersa on the sand.....crocea and maxi on the rock work.
As with any reef inhab, that stable water with good reef lighting makes them easy. 8BC5B9F0-865D-4F67-B607-19CB79A2434C.jpeg

ColoradoBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a better photo, hand for scale. I'm actually a bit worried that this gigas will out grow the tank faster than I had planned. I guess it's a good excuse for the wife for the upgrade lol. Bought on 7/27/19, this photo taken 12/13/19 so 4.5 months of growth:
IMG_3352.jpg

Last edited:

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can keep sps, you can keep a clam. Just make sure you pick a good spot where he won't get knocked over. Drop him in, and don't touch him again.

myrjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good thinking @

Phildago

i have had a blue maxima in foe about 2 years and never moved it . Just spot feed w/coral food . It is doing well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back