How high do you hang your ATI fixture?

  • Thread starter Thread starter booth2010
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

How high to hang ATI Sunpower?


  • Total voters
    24

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2013
Messages
904
Reaction score
143
Location
DeLand FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an ATI Sunpower 36 6 bulb. I plan on having a mixed reef and do not know how high I should keep the fixture. I know it can be moved but how high off the water to yall normally hang your light? Bulb combo is True Actinic, B+, C+, B+, P+, B+.
 
Due to the fact that I have a canopy, mine is under 6 inches.

canopy2_zpsiziu016o.jpg



Off the top of my head I can't recall the lamps -- have an 8*80 SP.
 
Bring them around 8-10 inches is usually a good bet. That way acros get tons of light but you're not frying the Lps on the bottom
 
But how would a person know this without a PAR meter?
its an invaluable device for led owners
 
So I have an ATI Sunpower 36 6 bulb. I plan on having a mixed reef and do not know how high I should keep the fixture. I know it can be moved but how high off the water to yall normally hang your light? Bulb combo is True Actinic, B+, C+, B+, P+, B+.

People have a tendency to think this is more complicated than it is. You're just trying to emulate daylight intensities, which is a very wide range of brightness.

Use a lux meter, since it's cheap, and as long as you read anywhere in the range of broad daylight (about 30,000 to 80,000 lux) at the water's surface, you're lights are fine! Accuracy of lux is not crucial for this adjustment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new