How high is your T5's

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to ask those who run T5's just how high is your fixtures from the water surface and what are your
PAR values as you descend into the depths?
I know that PAR readings will be different with variables such as bulb type, age, and type of reflector used.
However, I would think it safe to assume that in general; readings would be relatively the same.
I have not been able to locate any information regarding this topic.
If you have this information would you please share with us your findings.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine 7 inches above the water level. I’m renting my local par meter this weekend and I can get back to you!

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fixture is 48" x 4 bulb with two kessil 360 running at 60%. I use 3 B+ and one Act. I had 2, but like less purple.

Fixture is mounted on wall, front of tank it is 6" from water, rear of tank 8".

Par at 18" (bed) is 220 in front down to about 130 by the overflow box and 150 center each kessil, there is some reflection from the glass.

At 12" we are 250 with closer to 280 center front glass.

At 6" we are 350+ if you get under the kessils.

I run t5 at 100 for 6:15 hours, the kessil leds run 2 hours on each side in a ramp up.

Tank runs about 75.5 in the am to 78.8 in the pm.

Before you think all par readings are about the same, BRS has a video on the aquatic life vs the ati. Worth watching.

Also, in areas where shadowing existing, readings are lower, I had to move shrooms under an overhang/rock. My LPS love it, I just threw it on without acclimation (I know), I had one sps freak, but I think it will come around.

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine 7 inches above the water level. I’m renting my local par meter this weekend and I can get back to you!
Sounds great! I have mine set at 11 inches from the surface now. As I stated, I have no idea what to expect? Also, I only have nine inches of depth as my tanks are frag tanks. I will break down and purchase a PAR meter; I just wanted to know if anyone has this information. As no one really gives
any specifics. One wouldn't think this would be such a closely guarded secret...lol!

Last edited:

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 8 bulb ATI fixture 11-12" above the tank. Haven't tested PAR in quite a while. Sorry

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fixture is 48" x 4 bulb with two kessil 360 running at 60%. I use 3 B+ and one Act. I had 2, but like less purple.

Fixture is mounted on wall, front of tank it is 6" from water, rear of tank 8".

Par at 18" (bed) is 220 in front down to about 130 by the overflow box and 150 center each kessil, there is some reflection from the glass.

At 12" we are 250 with closer to 280 center front glass.

At 6" we are 350+ if you get under the kessils.

I run t5 at 100 for 6:15 hours, the kessil leds run 2 hours on each side in a ramp up.

Tank runs about 75.5 in the am to 78.8 in the pm.

Before you think all par readings are about the same, BRS has a video on the aquatic life vs the ati. Worth watching.

Also, in areas where shadowing existing, readings are lower, I had to move shrooms under an overhang/rock. My LPS love it, I just threw it on without acclimation (I know), I had one sps freak, but I think it will come around.
Neiltus, That's really informative! However you are also adding LED's into the equation which is not helpful in obtaining true PAR readings for stand alone T5's....LOL!

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched BRS videos in the past but they really don't provide an inch by inch PAR value for depth vs height of the fixture. This seems like a no brainer to me, but what do I know? Certainly not PAR value of my T5's :)

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if anyone is following my train of thought here it would be something like this.

Fixture height: 10 inches from water surface
Depth 1 inch = 350 PAR
2 inch= 275 PAR
3 inch= 200 PAR

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched BRS videos in the past but they really don't provide an inch by inch PAR value for depth vs height of the fixture. This seems like a no brainer to me, but what do I know? Certainly not PAR value of my T5's :)
there is one where they do a sxs on reflectors.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if anyone is following my train of thought here it would be something like this.

Fixture height: 10 inches from water surface
Depth 1 inch = 350 PAR
2 inch= 275 PAR
3 inch= 200 PAR
never seen one inch by inch. Standard 6 bulb was good for 2' tank in the 80s

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back