How high should water be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have a diagram showing a cross section of the overflow chamber showing the ideal water level? I am a little confused.

Thanks

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow area will determine the height of the water in the next chamber (probably obvious if you are doing a DIY sump.

Depending on if you are doing Fuge or skimmer in the next chamber it's a good idea to have you baffle set to a height appropriate for your chosen skimmer/fuge.

Here was how I did mine.

EuhOIW8.png

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have a diagram showing a cross section of the overflow chamber showing the ideal water level? I am a little confused.

Thanks

Hm. Tough question.

The water level in the overflow depends on the height of the standpipe. Most of us make the standpipe tall... so that water flowing into the overflow doesn't have far to fall... thus causing less noise. But... aside from noise, there's nothing _wrong_ with having the water level in the overflow set lower.

Shamelessly stolen graphic :)

iu

OP
OP
Dr RBG

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maxresdefault.jpg
So in theRed Sea tank there is a narrow pipe and a Wide pipe. should water be going down both pipes?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wide pipe is the main drain, the other is the emergency drain. The water level should be just below the emergency drain. Adjust CCW a tiny bit, there are vague detents in the valve. Wait a while for it to settle and adjust as necessary by very small amounts.
I made a vortex killer out of eggcrate which hang on the silencer to prevent a vortex from forming.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back