How high to aquascape in a 28 inch tall tank?

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go with @ZombieEngineer with this one. I'll also add my own $.02.

That scape looks awesome. I would absolutely keep it as is. But you may need more hidey holes for the fish while the corals grow in. The beauty of your scape is that you still have plenty of real-estate in the substrate to add little caves and swim-throughs.

And that's kind of where I'm going with this. While the structure looks awesome, you may find yourself limited to the types/amount of coral you can add. You'll have to leave room between corals in order to allow them to grow into those amazing colonies we all want. Adding a few smaller structures to that awesome scape might make the fish happier, while giving you more real-estate for corals. Kind of gives a sense of depth to the tank too.

Just a thought.
I have 4 major structures in the tank. It’s 6 feet wide. So you’d suggest adding some smaller ones, maybe in front of the main scape? I was planning on having a roundish rock in the sand, for a zoa garden, and maybe a pillar to (hopefully) have some anemones that won’t move elsewhere.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 72x28x28 tank. I'm wondering how high to have the rockwork. I'm planning on having a mixed reef, with SPS up high. I've seen people talk about having the scape come up 2/3 of the height of the tank, but doesn't that change in a taller tank? Isn't the issue to leave enough room for coral to not grow out of the water?

My LFS made up some rockwork for me, here it is, with one piece in the tank. I'm thinking it's too low, but I could be convinced otherwise...
I like to go a little higher and have the rocks sweep back. This gives me more places to attach coral and provide them with a place they'll be happy with the lighting. You may also consider what you want to have in the tank. SPS for example will thrive in a significantly higher light intensity. So I like to have a rockword spread so I can get a par variation of around 350 at top and 150 at the sand bed.

I mentioned the "rocks swept back" because I like to have ledges to attach coral to. If the rocks don't sweep back they may shade the areas below making them off limits to anything but sponges.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try something like this and add at least one mini cave structure in the open sand. Doesn't need much, maybe 5 more rocks.

B6A3A540-A869-4141-A79C-53592CAC6443.jpeg

Something like these for the little caves.

20220515_162847.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try something like this and add at least one mini cave structure in the open sand. Doesn't need much, maybe 5 more rocks.

B6A3A540-A869-4141-A79C-53592CAC6443.jpeg

Something like these for the little caves.

20220515_162847.jpg
Thanks! But it’s hard to tell what your red drawing means. Are those horizontal extensions?
I do have a very similar cave here:
BF2B19F5-8DFE-45A0-B04F-8B53FF7392B4.jpeg
Maybe I can add some more.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! But it’s hard to tell what your red drawing means. Are those horizontal extensions?
I do have a very similar cave here:
BF2B19F5-8DFE-45A0-B04F-8B53FF7392B4.jpeg
Maybe I can add some more.
The red designated rocks connecting those points. Partially enclosing the open area on the right and left into loose caves with several in/out openings.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd double the amount of rock and go higher. For me it's about designing a habitat, not making an art piece. NSA had its five minutes of fame.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should have more good caves than you have fish, so they have their pick of spots.

For a cave to be a good cave, it has to be a space that the fish can fit into, without just being a big open hoop. None of your negative space spaces count as caves, they're far too exposed. If you imagine a fish going into the cave, it should be mostly or entirely hidden from most angles. Picture what you'd put into a reptile enclosure for the reptile to hide in. It's a similar idea, except there's no need to worry about climbing.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ll try to add more caves. If anyone has any pictures of more cavey scapes, pls send links!

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 72x28x28 tank. I'm wondering how high to have the rockwork. I'm planning on having a mixed reef, with SPS up high. I've seen people talk about having the scape come up 2/3 of the height of the tank, but doesn't that change in a taller tank? Isn't the issue to leave enough room for coral to not grow out of the water?

My LFS made up some rockwork for me, here it is, with one piece in the tank. I'm thinking it's too low, but I could be convinced otherwise...
So my tank's rockwork only comes up to about half height in a 30 inch tank. As my tangs get bigger it'll give them more space to swim. My anthias hover over the rocks like they do in the wild. My softies and the few sticks I have are going to be allowed to grow into very large colonies, as opposed to many small colonies everywhere fighting it out.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some of my work on rock scape. Plenty of crevices and books for the fish to hide. The size of the caves, nooks or whatever depends on the size of the fish. I have a few tangs almost the size of my hand…..so they need larger places to hide. Ignore my remedia par numbers in the pictures. Haha

corey

05E4BF97-A056-4DE5-9BC1-66ACB76EE98A.jpeg AA57D040-4A3C-407F-A364-CDEAF555FEF8.jpeg 45883A4A-EB33-4D57-A393-14D4B588720D.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I'm about done with the new section. So I think I said this before, but the history of this scape is that it started with what a guy at my LFS made for me. He first did two pieces of the scape, that are currently in the left side of the tank. Some of what he did came apart in transit, but we put what was left in the tank anyway.

IMG_1508.jpeg

IMG_1509.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

(Notice all the diatom algae! I put some turbo snails in the tank yesterday, and I'm happy that they seem to be making quick work of it.)

So then he gave me the second two pieces, which also broke apart a bit. I decided to enhance those pieces myself. Here's what I have now:
IMG_1513.jpeg

IMG_1514.jpeg

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1516.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

Here are videos of the tank, and of the new scape.

So, thoughts? Any final suggestions to modify the new scape? One thing I'm thinking of is to put that lone rock that's to the left of the scape in front of one of the sections. It would make the area behind it more cavey, and I could mount zoas or something to it...

My biggest question is whether or not I should live with the sections that are currently in the tank. The new stuff is much more NSA-ish, would it look weird next to the sections in the tank? I'd like to talk myself out of it, it would be a hassle to pull the sections out of the tank, and I'd worry about die-off.

My other question is whether or not I have enough space to mount corals.

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? I would really appreciate some feedback on this, this is my first time doing a scape.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back