How I Fixed Leaking PVC with A Shop Vac!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2015
Messages
2,626
Reaction score
2,179
Location
Lubbock, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm am amazed that I just fixed some leaking PVC with a shop vac!!! I had a leak where the union meets the return. This tank had 4 leaks in the plumbing and 3 were solved by simply adding more pipe thread sealant. This last one was on a slip fitting, what the heck! I took the part off, capped on end, and put a shop vac on the other end. With it running, I added primer and cement to the leaky area. The vacuum created pulled the primer and glue exactly into the areas needed and there is no more leak!!! Check out the vid where I got the idea from...
 
Nice. Thought this was gonna be another band aid fix but that's actually pretty rad. Think a coupler and a hacksaw would've been more or less work?
 
I've heard of this before - it's a neat trick that can save a lot of work re-doing your entire plumbing job. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet, but it's good to know.

One warning with with vacuums and solvent cement: solvent cement is very flammable, and vacuum cleaner motors can serve as a source of ignition, so make sure you don't have any significant amount of fumes going in the vacuum cleaner
 
Last edited:
Nice. Thought this was gonna be another band aid fix but that's actually pretty rad. Think a coupler and a hacksaw would've been more or less work?
i had a threaded to slip adapter glued (or so I thought) right up to a union. Yeah I could've bought a new union and new adapter, but this technique sounded neat, and most important is that it worked! I just wanted o share with everyone
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new