Help with a plumbing leak

xaacuetara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

A few days ago I bought a new tank, so I've been working on plumbing it for the past few days the emergency PVC pipe is leaking and I just can't find a way to fix it, it is leaking from the top of it where it connects to the overflow box, I already added Teflon tape, and the leak stills there, I added some pictures from the leaking side, the brownish thing is a residue of the glue I used to keep it all together, the return pipe (black one) and drain one (white one, removed the rest of the pipe to take the pic) are ok, no leaks at all, also tested filling with water the overflow box and it is still leaking any advice?

Thank you for any advice guys you rock!

1718077584012.png 1718077603400.png

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

A few days ago I bought a new tank, so I've been working on plumbing it for the past few days the emergency PVC pipe is leaking and I just can't find a way to fix it, it is leaking from the top of it where it connects to the overflow box, I already added Teflon tape, and the leak stills there, I added some pictures from the leaking side, the brownish thing is a residue of the glue I used to keep it all together, the return pipe (black one) and drain one (white one, removed the rest of the pipe to take the pic) are ok, no leaks at all, also tested filling with water the overflow box and it is still leaking any advice?

it's hard to tell but is that a DIY overflow? do those pipes have bulkheads, it looks like silicone was used to seal up the pipes. where is the leak coming from? which one is the emergency drain the short white one?

OP
OP
X

xaacuetara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's hard to tell but is that a DIY overflow? do those pipes have bulkheads, it looks like silicone was used to seal up the pipes. where is the leak coming from? which one is the emergency drain the short white one?
thanks for the answer
And it is not a DIY overflow box, yes pipes do have bulkheads, and it is not silicone I used a cement sealing compatible also with ABS pipes, the emergency one is the large white one and it is leaking from the top part circled in the image.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    512.4 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
X

xaacuetara

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like none of those pipes are straight. Is this a home made drain?
I bought that tank used from my LFS, the brand is BOYU, and it included the drilled holes, I'm building and plumbing everything else, also I'm aiming that the problem is the drain pipe the middle white one is to thick and makes the other 2 impossible to screw straight

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would upload more pictures, of the full set up, what the overflow looks like from the side and the top looking down. Attached link to the bulkhead you are using. Ect

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the answer
And it is not a DIY overflow box, yes pipes do have bulkheads, and it is not silicone I used a cement sealing compatible also with ABS pipes, the emergency one is the large white one and it is leaking from the top part circled in the image.
I don't see any primer used, for those that don't know primer is important, it changes the molecular structure of the pvc so it can bond together to make a better seal.

I always prime water pipe. good luck

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought that tank used from my LFS, the brand is BOYU, and it included the drilled holes, I'm building and plumbing everything else, also I'm aiming that the problem is the drain pipe the middle white one is to thick and makes the other 2 impossible to screw straight
you say screw in strait? you may just need some thread sealing tape (ptfe)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, teflon tape. I also think many people make a mistake with PVC fittings and use electrical fittings instead of plumbing fittings.

It doesn't look like that is the problem here but the two look alike except the electrical fittings are usually gray (but could be white) Plumbing fittings have threads that are tapered so they get snugger the more you screw them in. Electrical fittings have straight threads and will not seal.

They are made so you can screw on locknuts and will never be water tight no matter how much tape you use.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

They make sealant for threads.
Take the tape off and use the sealant. Report back.

Screenshot_20240611_074534_Chrome.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they sell pipe sealant and tape, but plumbing threads are designed to seal tight without any help from those things. I can't tell from here but besides not being screwed in straight something is wrong.

If you screw in a PVC plumbing fitting straight and correctly, it shouldn't leak.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Either way that configuration is definitely different from the usual I’ve seen,
following out of curiosity
Added: not saying teflon tape is/isn’t suitable, but I “sometimes” avoid it as it’s easy to over-tighten

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes they sell pipe sealant and tape, but plumbing threads are designed to seal tight without any help from those things. I can't tell from here but besides not being screwed in straight something is wrong.

If you screw in a PVC plumbing fitting straight and correctly, it shouldn't leak.
@Paul B - thanks. I learned something new today. I recently grabbed a couple male TAs out of the electrical area as they were out of them in the plumbing area. Within 1/4 way in it was seized, I thought it was thread pitch. Thanks for that post.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When plastic is screwed together they swell from the friction and are harder to take apart than when put together.
Sometimes... Pipe threads need some help. This is why they need/sell sealant specifically made for PVC threads. It doesn't make a permanent Bond but does seal the threads and will be able to take apart.

Thread tape is for metal pipe, not particularly for pvc but is sometimes used but shouldn't be needed. Metal pipe will not seal without it.

Good luck OP, hope you figure it out.

anoldreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the answer
Also check your bulkhead fitting. It is not clearly visible in the attached. Some of those if you look at them closely are seemed together at the factory, like a clam shell. You will see lines where they are seamed together if that makes sense. If they have internall threads and you over tighten the fitting into them they will split at that seam and leak.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B - thanks. I learned something new today. I recently grabbed a couple male TAs out of the electrical area as they were out of them in the plumbing area. Within 1/4 way in it was seized, I thought it was thread pitch. Thanks for that post.
Electrical fittings look almost exactly the same but the fittings won't work for plumbing. You can get away with using some, but not all plumbing fittings for electrical work, but not the other way around.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing and plastic threads that have to be aligned perfectly and are easily overtightened in an effort to make sure that they don't leak are a huge source of stress for the DIY plumber.

Nothing more enjoyable than reading a thread(sic) about the struggles of others when my reef at home is dry and running smoothly. Shockingly enough, we got an opinion from an electrician and now I looked at my tank and the garage floor is damp?

The hobby is cursed by Neptune and the Siren's

:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Angry Abuse GIF by Preity G  Zinta

Last edited:

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here's another thread with the same brand of tank. Looks like at the bottom of the overflow there's a large bulkhead with separate connections for drain, return..etc. It could be that the connections use proprietary threading so that threaded to slip adapter won't screw in tightly even with tape or sealant.

If you bought it from the LFS have you reached back out to them about it?

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back