How important is a protein skimmer for you ?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main tank - 90% SPS: Vertex Alpha 200. It's removing a lot of "nasty" stuff. However, I use it predominantly for higher pH (recirc CO2).
Second tank - mixed reef: no skimmer, just chaeto -- no issues. Will remove the chaeto this weekend -- I honestly didn't observe any difference wrt N&P.

It's a nuisance to clean the cleaner cup every week though. If I can get away with no skimmer but still have higher pH, I would. IME, a skimmer is "optional", unless you're chasing higher pH. For example, I'm running with no skimmer, no socks, no water changes, and no problems on my second tank. It's extremely low maintenance - I'm just cleaning the glass every 2 days and takes less than a minute!

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an older Precision Marine RL200 Redline. There are 2 things I notice when I didn't have my skimmer on.

I use an outside air line for the skimmer. When it isn't running my PH drops under 8. Running my PH is always above 8.1.

It was down because of a bad pump for a few weeks. I noticed a lot more green/brown build up on the glass at the surface of the water. Foam build up in my overflow and the corners of my sump. Nothing huge but it was there. There was also a noticeable uptick in algae growth in my ATS. The corals had no noticeable changes.

So I guess I just run it for PH, aeriation, and my OCD with visible foaming. I am not sure if I absolutely need it but it just seems to fit the type of system I run and everything seems cleaner.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Main tank - 90% SPS: Vertex Alpha 200. It's removing a lot of "nasty" stuff. However, I use it predominantly for higher pH (recirc CO2).
Second tank - mixed reef: no skimmer, just chaeto -- no issues. Will remove the chaeto this weekend -- I honestly didn't observe any difference wrt N&P.

It's a nuisance to clean the cleaner cup every week though. If I can get away with no skimmer but still have higher pH, I would. IME, a skimmer is "optional", unless you're chasing higher pH. For example, I'm running with no skimmer, no socks, no water changes, and no problems on my second tank. It's extremely low maintenance - I'm just cleaning the glass every 2 days and takes less than a minute!
Consider a skimmer locker or even make a homemade one which will last me an easy 6 weeks making it simple to pour bottle contents into toilet

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1687456193587.png

Screw it, I'm going to throw it out there and I don't really care what anyone thinks because my cheap $20 skimmer with an Eheim pump and airstone has been running for over a year and does a great job at skimming bad stuff out of my SPS dominated nano. Matter of fact, it does such a good job that I run it for only 12 hours a day or else my nutrients (NO3: 0-2 ppm, PO4: 0.03ppm) will bottom out and my corals will starve. I run carbon and GFO, filter floss, UV sterilizer and that's it. I do a water change once a month to once every couple of months.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1687456193587.png

Screw it, I'm going to throw it out there and I don't really care what anyone thinks because my cheap $20 skimmer with an Eheim pump and airstone has been running for over a year and does a great job at skimming bad stuff out of my SPS dominated nano. Matter of fact, it does such a good job that I run it for only 12 hours a day or else my nutrients (NO3: 0-2 ppm, PO4: 0.03ppm) will bottom out and my corals will starve. I run carbon and GFO, filter floss, UV sterilizer and that's it. I do a water change once a month to once every couple of months.
If it works and shows benefits- thats great, Doesnt what others think other than your fish and coral

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmers are the best, last line of defense I feel. When everything has gone wrong having well oxygenated water may be the one savior. I even have one on my 10g orphans tank for that reason.
IMG_6393.jpeg

WarChief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better question is with the skimmer how many of you still run socks in your sumps? My socks take the predominance and I am about sick of changing them every couple days as I am too lazy to clean them.... contemplating using filter cups and floss.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better question is with the skimmer how many of you still run socks in your sumps? My socks take the predominance and I am about sick of changing them every couple days as I am too lazy to clean them.... contemplating using filter cups and floss.

I used Cups and Pinky Filters for quite some time, I found it worked quite well. I got a good 3-4 days before the sock area would start to overflow. Eventually moved to the roller because I liked the more consistent water level, but there's no question the Cup/Floss method was significantly cheaper and performed quite well.

WarChief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Cups and Pinky Filters for quite some time, I found it worked quite well. I got a good 3-4 days before the sock area would start to overflow. Eventually moved to the roller because I liked the more consistent water level, but there's no question the Cup/Floss method was significantly cheaper and performed quite well.
I am concerned to move to a fleece roller because I dont feel like trying to run two 1" hard pipes into one and the ones that dont require being plumbed into dont seem to have as good reviews

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned to move to a fleece roller because I dont feel like trying to run two 1" hard pipes into one and the ones that dont require being plumbed into dont seem to have as good reviews

Man, I hear that. I am still on the fence if it was worth it for me. I had to hard plumb my Reefmat due to space constraints and probably voided the warranty, and frankly, the cup/floss method worked just as well. I don't get as many complaints about the stinky trash and water dripping on the floor anymore though. ;)

Back to the skimmer topic, I think there are really main pillars of filtration, Socks/Rollers, Skimmer, and Refugium. I think I can live with any 2 of those 3 and be totally fine, but it's nice to have all 3 going so that I can feed more heavily.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a skimmer locker or even make a homemade one which will last me an easy 6 weeks making it simple to pour bottle contents into toilet
True - I actually drilled a sizable hole to the outside (for outside air intake before, no longer needed for recirc CO2) so can theoretically plumb it outside the house to a big 5g bucket. However, I feel that I'll just move the problem though. The neck & collection cup get dirty and I have to clean them anyway. I'm somewhat lazy (yes, sounds counter-intuitive) to implement an automated skimmer neck cleaner.

I suffer from mysophobia & OCD -- I like my sump, skimmer, and equipment to be clean & tidy. Speaking of that, I'm way overdue to take out the skimmer and give it a good vinegar soak & deep scrubbing!

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I run a skimmer... An Ultra Reef Acula DC. I run a UNLS so it's imperative that I have good skimming to remove organics and excess nutrient laden bacteria from carbon doing. Skimmers also provide gas exchange with the aeration of the water. Personally I would run a system without a skimmer. Remember the old saying... There's two thing in your system you don't want to go cheap on, your lighting and your skimmer. I have always found a good skimmer to be a necessity.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back