How important is a protein skimmer if I keep up with water changes?

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon acrylic with a fluval 306 canister filter and I added a green killing machine UV sterilizer. Besides that I dont have anything else. I have been looking into protein skimmers but most need a sump and the hang on back are more like hang the entire thing inside and make the aquarium look like a sump.

I can do 10% water changes pretty easily with my fluval vacc, should I just stick to that?

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the bioload in your tank. Ultimately a 10% water change leaves 90% of the stuff in your water you’re trying to export via the water change. The UV sterilizer will definitely help with water clarity and neutralizing algae/cyano/etc. but the root cause is still there. Skimmer would definitely help break down and export fish/coral poo — but again, it goes back to what the bioload is in your tank. If things start to get out of whack beyond the rate of water changes you can perform, adding a skimmer would be the next logical step.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the bioload in your tank. Ultimately a 10% water change leaves 90% of the stuff in your water you’re trying to export via the water change. The UV sterilizer will definitely help with water clarity and neutralizing algae/cyano/etc. but the root cause is still there. Skimmer would definitely help break down and export fish/coral poo — but again, it goes back to what the bioload is in your tank. If things start to get out of whack beyond the rate of water changes you can perform, adding a skimmer would be the next logical step.
I agree. If you need a skimmer, get one. HOB skimmers can do a fine job. If you don’t need it, then save your money. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does depend on what you have. My frag tank is a 20 gallon long with a HOB filter from aqueon and a powerhead. I have 15 frags one 6 line wrasse a few snails and hermits and my nitrates and phosphates are lower than my display with a skimmer and GFO. Why? 20% weekly water changes and easy on the food.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 55 gallon acrylic with a fluval 306 canister filter and I added a green killing machine UV sterilizer. Besides that I dont have anything else. I have been looking into protein skimmers but most need a sump and the hang on back are more like hang the entire thing inside and make the aquarium look like a sump.

I can do 10% water changes pretty easily with my fluval vacc, should I just stick to that?

Other things to consider is how often you clean your canister filter, how much live rock you have in your tank, and if you are planning for a FOWLR tank or would like to add corals (and what kind). IMHO, I think that if you did both a 25+% water change and cleaned the filter every couple of weeks as well as had enough live rock then you could put off getting a sump and protein skimmer for now. The canister filter and water changes would take care of your mechanical filtration and your live rock and substrate could take care of your biological filtration well enough to support a FOWLR system, but you may struggle to provide the stability necessary for a coral system. I realize that you can use a canister filter on a reef system and clean the filter infrequently, but I am posing that that is not an optimal approach and includes greater risks. Whatever you decide, good luck with your system!

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g w a canister filter too. No UV. No sump. No fuge. Been no problem for 2 yrs. mind you I’ve had multiple tank crashes due to no qt or poor qt but that’s a different story. I do weekly water changes of 10g and have never had more than 8 fish + maybe 5 inverts at a time. Syphoned 1/3 of the rank w every water change. But be warned: w that bioload, if i missed 1 waterchange, consequences were severe. I’m looking to upgrade and I’ll be purchasing a proper system w sump and skimmer. Figure it’s easier and more stable that way.

Disclaimer: never had corals and assume they require more stable conditions than I am currently providing.

I should add that I cleaned my filter once in 2 yrs, have about 50 pounds of live rock, and 20 pounds of live “sand” (it’s really live crushed coral. Not fine sand).

How long have you had the tank? You know the old saying: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it ;)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron Man pretty much covers it . Depends on tank size, bioload,flow etc. Sand bed? Do you vacuum often . With good maintenance blasting off the rock . I wouldn't think one" needs " a skimmer . If the tank is bigger more than a couple fish , it's needed. Good flow will help & don't let the Sand bed get loaded with gunk.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back