How important is coralline algae to you and how long did it take?

Do you measure the maturity of a reef tank by the amount of coralline present in the tank?

• YES

Votes: 255 37.7%
  • NO

Votes: 283 41.9%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 127 18.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 1.6%

• Total voters

Lugubrious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes me want to buy some helix then I need a boost in mine

truly I dont have a way for acrylic use that isn't scraping, it sounds daunting
Yeah, its actually a super super PITA.

I have both purple and pink algae, purple came im guessing from plugs. But im glad I added the pink it looks very nice.

The pink seems to much prefer darker places or dark substrate. Pink first took off on a black frag rack, then I started finding to growing on the inner side of mag scrapers essentially no light. Now its taking off and is a bit of everywhere. Purple isn't choosy all on rocks ect. Pink really seems to like darker spots

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How important is having coralline algae present in your aquarium to you?

I like the way it looks on the back glass and rock work. I like the look a lot better than everything being absolutely clean.

2. Would you measure the maturity of a reef tank by the amount of coralline present in the tank?

I do. I don't think it necessarily is a indicator of maturity. I've noticed a lot of products will actually kill off coralline or at least slow it down. Plus if someone always scrapes it off then you would never know. However, if a tank is completely covered in it then i would assume its a mature tank.

3. How long did it take you to start seeing coralline in your first reef tank?

About a month after I introduced my first fish I started seeing small spots pop up. However i've used vibrant a few times and I noticed a sever reduction for coraline after its use. My tank is about a year old and i'd say about 1/3 of the back glass and rockwork is covered in it at this point.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thick layer of coralline on all rocks maybe exceptions the parts not really getting muck light.
took about a year to get to this stage. I have a type of rock which is dark and very separated so the spreading was slower than expected in the beginning. Once it took off in 2 months it was 90% covered in 2 months. Whiter mor flat surface rock has been long covered before the darker ones.
Is my tank mature after a bit over a year? I doubt it but getting there no doubt and coralline is not the real indicator just a stage like the uglies except this is not ugly;)

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd say its important to have, as it helps balance your alk and calcium consumption in a tank, as well as provides more texture for coral attachment. My current system consumes twice as much alk as calcium, and I feel its because there was no coralline algae in it, even after almost 4 years.

2. Would you measure the maturity of a reef tank by the amount of coralline present in the tank?

I'd say yes and no...

It took me 3 or 4 months for my first tank, but my current tank of 4 years only just started popping up coralline algae in the last two months (I think it came off some frags I bought). I've never heard anyone's having it take that long to occur. I had an issue with ammonia spikes for nearly 3 constant months at the beginning that I think effectively sterilized the system of all coralline algal spores.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Coralline Algae is a type of red Algae in the order Corallinales. It is a desirable algae to have in a saltwater aquarium and its growth is an indication of a properly matured marine fish tank. It is commonly introduced into an aquarium by placing live rock into the aquarium. Coralline Algae enters the system as one of the many beneficial “hitchhiker’s” on live rock as well as on the shells of snails." - ARC Reef

Let's talk about it today!

image via @trioledeployment
be567cb92a937e9f91127bd079ff01e5.jpg

It depends on the tank. In my main display tank where I am dosing and growing LPS/SPS coral, it's a good sign.

But in my anemone/softie tank? I couldn't care less. I have no coraline in it. Sometimes it will grow a little after one of my rare water changes as the calcium and alk will be higher, but the urchins eat it up quickly. The only thing I dose in that tank is iodide.

It doesn't mean anything towards tank maturity. However, it does take time to get it going so while they aren't directly linked, a tank with coraline is more likely to be mature.

Few months if you are counting tiny specs on the back glass.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think you can go based off of coralline to signify maturity due to the fact that if it’s not introducing than it cannot signify anything at all but that doesn't mean your tank isn’t mature just because you do t have coralline algae

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is important to me since I have a new tank and it is an indication that I am getting closer to hosting some of other more sensitive aquatic life. From a visual standpoint I also like it.

I would measure the maturity by the bio-diversity of all different algae types in my tank. If I have some red slime in a low flow gunky area that makes sense and wouldn't be a sign of an immature tank. If my nitrates increase and I start to see pockets of GHA that would make sense too.

I started to see green coralline first when my lights were at 100% but it dissipated quickly. Around 4-5 months is when the pink and purple specks started appearing and growing with lighting reduced to only at 50%. Just now 6 months in and increased the flow in my tank so I'm expecting to see more growth now.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me figure out how to get coralline off of my acrylic?

My coralline growth exploded and its taking over my viewing pleasures.

Tried acrylic scraper, flipper max ect.

I can say my SPS is currently suffering so I wouldn't relate coralline to maturity, I think we're figuring out maturity doesn't actually equal stability so, ill vote that my tank grows coralline like crazy, but im still fighting swings dialing in dosing.

Tank is probably 6 months old, I added pink helix about 5 months ago and didn't take off till now. But boy is it taking over the glass!
I use an old credit card

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline on rocks suppresses other algea growth. I notice if I put in a clean rock, it get other less desirable algeas 1st.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say you could 100% base it off by how much coralline is in someones tank.

heck I started in the days of live rock was the only option, and we still "cycled" those. Instant covered in coralline algae days.

it definitly helped beat that ugly stage starting with live rock vs dry rock, uhh how I miss those days.

but not everyone likes this stuff growing over the glass, and when it grows quick its not fun the scrape off the glass haha!

but it definitly serves a purpose, would i love all my live rock covered in it on my current tank. Yes! Dry rock sucks compared to live rock covered in coraline.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No , Coraline is not a stand alone indicator of a mature system. It is a good sign. The color and growth of coraline means good things are happening. Steady coral growth, steady colors, healthy livestock, and steady alk and cal consumption, make a healthy mature system.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) Very important I would say.

2) Yes, I believe so, but I am new to this whole thing.

3) About 5 months, but it did come from coral frags, so it didn’t occur naturally.

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a new member. I've got a FOWLR 110 Gallon tank. It is 9 months old now. I have plenty of live rock, but really no algae growth of any kind, good or bad. The fish are all healthy. Population is a Powder Blue Tang, Heniochus Butterfly, Valentini puffer, lemon peel angel, watchman goby, percula clown, bi-color blenny and 5 blue chromis, oh and a green carpet anemone. I always read where Powder Blues are Ich Magnets, so I installed a UV sterilizer. I take it that is why I have no algae growth?? Any thoughts??

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st tank (120G): Never
2nd tank(75G): 6-7 months
3rd tank (32G): little over 2 months.

CLFishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank, (32.5 gal) is just over 4 months, up and running from a down sized 90 gal, just started seeing some coralline with in the last 4 weeks. I’m glad to see it, weather it means anything or not.

69C0BE27-9F45-40A0-82D9-D998F1345EB4.jpeg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think on my previous tanks, I was excited for coralline. I felt like yippie... I have purple stuff therefore I am a reefer. Now I have a virgin tank, with clean walls and a nice blue vinyl back. I love how modern and clean it looks. I carried over my live rock and it had a purple covering. It can stop there. If it never grows anywhere else, I'm good. If it does...I will scrape it off.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my dead rock in a trash can with a dead shrimp a heater and power head . 4 months of this 100 percent water change. Put in aquarium bare bottom . Two hydors one wavemaker two returns . Not long after I put snails in coraline showed up at around 5 months 9 if you include the rock cycle. At 6 months I have some spots on my rock bottom has the most sides and back have a few spots here and there.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I can't grow coraline but mines is mainly FOWLR and a few ricordias and shrooms. 2 years and barely any.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me figure out how to get coralline off of my acrylic?

My coralline growth exploded and its taking over my viewing pleasures.

Tried acrylic scraper, flipper max ect.

I can say my SPS is currently suffering so I wouldn't relate coralline to maturity, I think we're figuring out maturity doesn't actually equal stability so, ill vote that my tank grows coralline like crazy, but im still fighting swings dialing in dosing.

Tank is probably 6 months old, I added pink helix about 5 months ago and didn't take off till now. But boy is it taking over the glass!
Google: Mighty Magnet acrylic. Expensive scraper but worth every penny for my two acrylic tanks. Strong and didn't scratch the acrylic one bit. There are some videos on their website and You Tube.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back