HOW IN THE WORLD DO I FILL A 29 GALLON TANK????

FrickMasterFlex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local aquarium which happens to specialize in reef tanks sells RODI water for $1 per gallon. I have a 20-gallon tank which only needed 16-gallons of water to fill after I had the rock and sand in there. So a 15-20% water change (I am going to do weekly changes thanks to all of the great info provided by other reefers on this site) of a 20-gallon tank is 3-4 gallons. I have two 5-gallon containers with lids and I go once every 2 weeks to fill them up for water changes and top offs. The back and forth to the store, plus the actual water change when I get home takes about 90mins total, and again, I only have to go once every two weeks. Doesn't bother me at all.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, nobody said setting up a tank was easy. Ive got a 20, 25, and 45 gallon all upstairs (two flights), and the RODI and mixing brute is in the garage. You can bet your butt that I (a 16-year-old girl) rolled up my sleeves and carried up those 5-gallon jugs and filled up those tanks. I continue to carry up 5-gallon jugs up twice a week- once for a water change and once to fill up my ATOs. If you were able to carry up your aquascape, the water shouldn't be too difficult and it's easier than you expect because you get stronger over time.

I use a black plastic tub to mix my saltwater and a brute trash can for RODI. I hooked a cheap return pump up to a long length of tubing (water change tubing type) and threw it into my RODI can. When I need to mix saltwater, I just plug in the return pump and it creates a hose where I can just spray water into the saltwater mixing tub or a 5-gallon jug for ATO. Then you can do the same system for your saltwater or some tubs come with a tap already drilled and you can just act like it's a beer keg. You will end up having to do the heavy lifting unless you put your water mixing station right up next to your tank. Good luck man, and maybe lift some weights!

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, nobody said setting up a tank was easy. Ive got a 20, 25, and 45 gallon all upstairs (two flights), and the RODI and mixing brute is in the garage. You can bet your butt that I (a 16-year-old girl) rolled up my sleeves and carried up those 5-gallon jugs and filled up those tanks. I continue to carry up 5-gallon jugs up twice a week- once for a water change and once to fill up my ATOs. If you were able to carry up your aquascape, the water shouldn't be too difficult and it's easier than you expect because you get stronger over time.

I use a black plastic tub to mix my saltwater and a brute trash can for RODI. I hooked a cheap return pump up to a long length of tubing (water change tubing type) and threw it into my RODI can. When I need to mix saltwater, I just plug in the return pump and it creates a hose where I can just spray water into the saltwater mixing tub or a 5-gallon jug for ATO. Then you can do the same system for your saltwater or some tubs come with a tap already drilled and you can just act like it's a beer keg. You will end up having to do the heavy lifting unless you put your water mixing station right up next to your tank. Good luck man, and maybe lift some weights!
LMAOOOOOO ma’am! I’m a 42 year old woman. I’ll hire whipper snappers like you to do all that carrying. And what do you know about beer kegs?????? thanks for the advice tho. Going to look around for return pumps. Was going to go to the lfs but my RODI I have coming actually makes more water than I thought it would

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i filled a 55 gallon carrying 6 gallon bucket every 12 hours lol that was the easy part i mixed in aquarium with nothing in and when i added stuff i drained the excess water that i did not need

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to want an auto top off system. I suggest to make everything easier fill your tank directly from your rodi the first time then have a storage container for the rest. You could even do it for water changes but then you risk killing your pumps faster. No big deal if your willing to replace pumps. Easier on your back harder on the wallet.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@greetl01 welcome to R2R! Don't worry about the water issue, it's not as daunting as it seems.

I'm a newbie with a 120G that I started a little more than a year ago. I started with a mixing station and 32G Brute container. So filling the tank with saltwater the first time was a bit of a pain (lugging 5G jugs) but since nothing was in the tank it took a few days but didn't matter. What was important, however, was that since I made the water I wasn't worried about the quality of the water I was using -- some folks have had issues with buying water from their local LFS. Now, my water changes are 15-20G each week so I only carry 5G jugs 3-4 times from the basement to the main floor where the tank is.

Have you figured out how you'll collect / drain the water you take from your tank? I was lucky in that there is a bathroom nearby where I can run a python siphon.

Good luck!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LMAOOOOOO ma’am! I’m a 42 year old woman. I’ll hire whipper snappers like you to do all that carrying. And what do you know about beer kegs?????? thanks for the advice tho. Going to look around for return pumps. Was going to go to the lfs but my RODI I have coming actually makes more water than I thought it would
OMG, you're 42, not 142! Seriously, who talks like this???

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@greetl01 welcome to R2R! Don't worry about the water issue, it's not as daunting as it seems.

I'm a newbie with a 120G that I started a little more than a year ago. I started with a mixing station and 32G Brute container. So filling the tank with saltwater the first time was a bit of a pain (lugging 5G jugs) but since nothing was in the tank it took a few days but didn't matter. What was important, however, was that since I made the water I wasn't worried about the quality of the water I was using -- some folks have had issues with buying water from their local LFS. Now, my water changes are 15-20G each week so I only carry 5G jugs 3-4 times from the basement to the main floor where the tank is.

Have you figured out how you'll collect / drain the water you take from your tank? I was lucky in that there is a bathroom nearby where I can run a python siphon.

Good lu

Good luck!
There’s a be next to my room as well. I think I’m going to use a water pump straight to my tub as suggested in the thread. Also I didn’t realize most ppl only do 10% water changes. I’m going to stock light and over filter so I don’t have to do as many water changes

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
42? You are still young to many of us. I got some years on you too. Been doing this a long time. You will enjoy it. Even the lugging of water will become a zen zone for you eventually. Plus, you will get a better system as you learn how things work. Everyone is different in their set up and methods.

I wish you the best of luck. Welcome too!

OP
OP
greetl01

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to want an auto top off system. I suggest to make everything easier fill your tank directly from your rodi the first time then have a storage container for the rest. You could even do it for water changes but then you risk killing your pumps faster. No big deal if your willing to replace pumps. Easier on your back harder on the wallet.
I’m definitely getting one! Spent a lot of money so far and still have to get a good light so it will probably be about 3 months from now if it’s more than $50

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relax....
I'm plenty relaxed. Good coffee this morning. Especially for my 46 year old butt that lugs buckets of water.
There’s a be next to my room as well. I think I’m going to use a water pump straight to my tub as suggested in the thread. Also I didn’t realize most ppl only do 10% water changes. I’m going to stock light and over filter so I don’t have to do as many water changes
I hope you don't mean your bath tub.
I’m definitely getting one! Spent a lot of money so far and still have to get a good light so it will probably be about 3 months from now if it’s more than $50
If you're doing a FOWLR tank, then you can get away with a $50 light. If you plan on getting corals, it's going to be more than that. Just a heads up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
*edit* (sorry for all caps in title. didn't realize it was on. thought it just formatted like that.) my tank is only 29 gallons. Am I really supposed to drag 29-35 gallons of water home??? what the heck...After it occurred to me I ordered an RODI thingy, and apparently it's like 4 gallons an hour if i'm lucky??? so 7 hours???? Even with a 5 gallon bucket that's 6 trips. The most containers i'm committed to carrying out a store is like 5...then I have to carry them upstairs. and then i'm thinking about water changes. at 25% it's still like 5 gallons of RODI every week lol! absolutely not. Am I missing something or do you all really do this???? some of you have 100 gallon tanks and i've decided today that will never be me. So I guess my question is, is there a water delivery service lol HELP!

*edit* it just occurred to me if I go with RODI filter, how am I supposed to mix 29 gallons of water overnight???????? I considered mixing in my tank. but aren't I supposed to put substrate in first? but am I NOT supposed to be mixing salt in a tank with sand? or is that just for cleanings rather than a first time fill?
I have a 140 gallon tank - I have my RO unit in the basement - next to the washtub (and on the same level as the tank) - I have a 40 gallon 'rain barrel' with a spout on the bottom to fill buckets if I want. I have a float switch in the wall of the bucket - that shuts off the RO when water is near the top of the barrel (which Is really like a brute trash can with the spigot) - I have a 'Python' - hooked up to the washtub - with a 25 foot hose - I use that to drain out the water - I then put a pump in the salt water - screw on the python and pump the new water into the tank - there is no carrying, and no mess. Note - usually - the barrel just holds RO/DI water. When I change water - I mix 40 gallons of saltwater and change that much - maybe once a month

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - another option besides carrying - is to extend the output tube of your RODI - drill a small hole in the floor near the tank - and use that to fill - but you need a good system to prevent overflowing, etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the hobby. That's how it's done (Carry water in 5-gallon intervals either from store, basement, kitchen, etc) and we love it!!!
LOL no we don't..... But - here is another suggestion - dont use buckets - use a jerrycan - which holds about 5 gallons - has a thick handle, a lid - and a 'spout' for pouring. I never use buckets anymore

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back