How is everyone dosing Kalkwasser on a tank with no sump or has a all in one?

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into dosing kalkwasser and as far as I have seen there are three options

1. ATO ( I prefer not to go this route )
2. Dosing container with dosing pump (Requires large freshwater storage close to tank)
3. Kalk reactor / stirrer ( I have only seen ones that feed via gravity which requires either a sump or the reactor be placed above the tank )

Personally I would prefer the reactor method but my tank is an all in one tank so I am not sure that's even an option for me. Unless I have just misunderstood something in all the research I have done. Has anyone come up with a solution that's in the same boat as me?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the 3 options I've seen as well. Maybe the reactor could be hooked up to a dosing pump?

I use and prefer the ATO method personally.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A HOB reactor like the phosban reactor should at least in theory work for this. You would probably need to tweak the flowrate to get it to stir well, but I would assume you could get that to work.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a vid i saw a little bit back where a doser was connected to the kalk reactor to do the dosing. if you think about it, a kalk reactor is no different than a container that has a mixed solution in it already. the only difference with a kalk reactor is that it has the stirrer in the bottom to keep it mixed.
you really just need a way to get water in and solution out. ato could be used to do this, or if your going to do it throughout the day, and what i am probably going to do, is use a dosing pump to take rodi water, push it into the kalk reactor, which will then push solution out, at what should be the same rate as it came in. i am no expert, so take that for what its worth

Last edited:
OP
OP
mnosz

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A HOB reactor like the phosban reactor should at least in theory work for this. You would probably need to tweak the flowrate to get it to stir well, but I would assume you could get that to work.
hmm that's interesting. What model would you think is best for this? So you are thinking somehow dose RODI water into the reactor and have the output aimed into the tank? How would you go about mixing the Kalk?

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2 seems to be the easiest and cheapest. I'm not sure why you need the large freshwater storage tho. A container of saturated kalk solution and a dosing pump is what I run. If you need a massive amount of kalk maybe this isn't feasible.

OP
OP
mnosz

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a vid i saw a little bit back where a doser was connected to the kalk reactor to do the dosing. if you think about it, a kalk reactor is no different than a container that has a mixed solution in it already. the only difference with a kalk reactor is that it has the stirrer in the bottom to keep it mixed.
you really just need a way to get water in and solution out. ato could be used to do this, or if your going to do it throughout the day, and what i am probably going to do, is use a dosing pump to take rodi water, push it into the kalk reactor, which will then push solution out, at what should be the same rate as it came in.

So you are saying something like dose RODI to reactor and then have another doser pull at the same rate from the top?

OP
OP
mnosz

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2 seems to be the easiest and cheapest. I'm not sure why you need the large freshwater storage tho. A container of saturated kalk solution and a dosing pump is what I run. If you need a massive amount of kalk maybe this isn't feasible.
I have heard this isnt the best option, due to losing its potency I believe? I am not sure what to expect consumption wise. I know currently my 2part consumption is not that high.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the ATO option, connected to a Tunze Kalk reactor. The reactor can kept outside of the aquarium. I currently use a Tunze Osmolater along with the Tunze Kalk reactor and it is a great solution.

Or, you could go with an old school method of Kalk in a 5gl bucket connected to an aqualifter pump. You would need to attach a barbed drip valve to the end of the line going into the aquarium. Set the drip to your daily evaporation and fill up the bucket as needed. I did this very thing on a 50gl office tank. I was able to automatticlly top off the tank and supplement CA/ALK. Once a week I filled the bucket and once every month I would wash out the tube and valve as it can build up kalk. Be sure to have the kalk drip into an area of high flow. This is by far the cheapest and simplest of methods.

How large is your aquarium in gallons?

-Sonny

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard this isnt the best option, due to losing its potency I believe? I am not sure what to expect consumption wise. I know currently my 2part consumption is not that high.

The potency topic is addressed in that thread and seems to be a non issue. I'm using a bubble magus ts1 doser and one gallon BRS container of saturated kalk for my 35 gallon. The TS1 breaks up the dosing amount into even increments throughout the day by default. I don't worry about Ph spikes since I'm not dosing massive amounts at a time.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying something like dose RODI to reactor and then have another doser pull at the same rate from the top?
no, basically you use the doser to feed reactor. there wouldnt be a need to extract because the doser feeding the reactor would do that in a gravity situation on the top end
this is the video i was referring to. again, keep in mind i havent tested this myself, so i am taking the word of the video, that it would work. theoretically, it should since the other way to do it would be to use an ATO pump to force water through, which would then cause solution to exit.
the dosing part is somewhere around halfway

my overall concern is amounts that get dosed. i would hate to setup my ATO to fill up a tank and have it go longer periods of time, for whatever reason, thus dosing a large amount, versus a doser that will only feed the reactor small amounts through the day and dosing small drip amounts at the same time, in hopes that i can control it better than having a half cup, or whatever at a time.

OP
OP
mnosz

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The potency topic is addressed in that thread and seems to be a non issue. I'm using a bubble magus ts1 doser and one gallon BRS container of saturated kalk for my 35 gallon. The TS1 breaks up the dosing amount into even increments throughout the day by default. I don't worry about Ph spikes since I'm not dosing massive amounts at a time.
Do you ever have to mix up the gallon container and how long does that container last you?

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever have to mix up the gallon container and how long does that container last you?
If I let the gallon run till empty, probably 2-3 weeks. But I make sure to top it off weekly with some saturated kalk solution and give it a shake in the process.

My tank is not high demand and I do autowater changes which also lowers my kalk usage.

OP
OP
mnosz

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, basically you use the doser to feed reactor. there wouldnt be a need to extract because the doser feeding the reactor would do that in a gravity situation on the top end
this is the video i was referring to. again, keep in mind i havent tested this myself, so i am taking the word of the video, that it would work. theoretically, it should since the other way to do it would be to use an ATO pump to force water through, which would then cause solution to exit.
the dosing part is somewhere around halfway

my overall concern is amounts that get dosed. i would hate to setup my ATO to fill up a tank and have it go longer periods of time, for whatever reason, thus dosing a large amount, versus a doser that will only feed the reactor small amounts through the day and dosing small drip amounts at the same time, in hopes that i can control it better than having a half cup, or whatever at a time.

I watched the video. This relies on the output being above the sump for gravity to feed the output. I need a solution that would provide enough pressure to get the ouput to the top of my tank ( I have an all in one ) :/

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By having the flow bubble up from the bottom. You just need a low flow pressure rated pump like a peristaltic or avast diaphragm. Won't get an oversaturated slurry like a stirrer can, but it would at least give you a somewhat consistent mostly saturated solution.

OP
OP
mnosz

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is built for this exact application.

You don't happen to have a picture or video of someone using this with a dosing pump instead of relying on the gravity for output do you? I just want to know what I am getting into before hitting buy on anything.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said no but I just use kalk in the ato on my 36 gallon. Simple and nothing to fail with no added expense of equipmemt. I do use a dosing pump on my larger tank due to the amount of evaporation varying but it's a 6 foot tank and the sump is another 6ft tank so evaporation varies greatly depending on temps etc.

OP
OP
mnosz

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So are you saying I should have my doser pull from RODI into this reactor and then just let this drip into the tank? Will the doser provide enough power? In his example it looks like he may be using his ATO pump into the reactor.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back