How is the Economic Slow-down Effecting You?

How has the economic slow-down effected your reef?

• Not doing planned upgrades

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Limiting new livestock purchases

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • No new equipment

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • More trades with others for livestock/equipment

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Forced out of the hobby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No effect

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Russellaqua

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to see so many people respond to this poll. I think it'll give hobbyists and retailers alike a better understanding of what people are going through in these times. Not only does the economy effect what wholesalers, retailers, and customers pay, but a slow down also effects the coral collectors in places like the Solomon Islands, Tonga, and Fiji.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is not so much the economy as it is having 2 teenagers in the house. Between insurance, braces, college planning, and buiding a garage, we're tapped. But I still consider my family and myself extremely blessed, especially compared with people in other countries who spend 80+% of their income on food alone.

Dave

OP
OP
Russellaqua

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your teenagers are anything like I was they know how to eat and spend your money :) We are lucky here though. We're not breaking our backs to grow crops that fail or digging grubs up out of the ground to eat like they are in some nations.

lReef lKeeper

I'm an SPS-aholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
limiting my purchases to LE, ORA, Tyree, and Aussie corals and forcing more trading with other reefers. although i cant really complain ... trading has been very good to me !! i think i am gonna keep doing what im doing. lol

OP
OP
Russellaqua

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds kinda like me. I've gotten more LE and Tyree pieces lately, as well as Aussies. I'm not a fan of ORA (business reasons I won't go into), but of course as a business trades aren't big for me. Oh well, at least the corals keep growing so when the economy picks up I'll have more to sell.

lReef lKeeper

I'm an SPS-aholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds kinda like me. I've gotten more LE and Tyree pieces lately, as well as Aussies. I'm not a fan of ORA (business reasons I won't go into), but of course as a business trades aren't big for me. Oh well, at least the corals keep growing so when the economy picks up I'll have more to sell.

im checking out your site right now !!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That Aussie Moselaya you got Mark is sweet!

OP
OP
Russellaqua

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev! It's another one of those corals I'll hate to sell, but unfortunately I can't keep everything that comes through. I'm thinking of adding a private collection portion to the site so people can see what I myself keep, and what might be fragged in the future. I have a killer Oulophyllia crispa and an amazing Trachyphyllia radiata too.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much right now.. We are actually very busy at work... I am in the millwaukee area and things seem to affect us latter than the rest of the country so it may still be comming...

Dave

mecold

Oh I wish I were an......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slowdown is mixed for me. Combined with high fuel prices, it seems to be helping traffic at the little ;) airline I work for. But $120/barrel oil, mergers, consolidation, and market pullouts is really making us nervous. Not to mention, we have not had cost of living adjustments since 01/2002. Still, Like has been said, I find myself spending the same amounts for luxury items as when times were good. Unfortunatly, the rest of the country is feeling now what myself and alot of my coworkers started feeling 6 years ago and never stopped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russellaqua

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, no COL adjustments since 2002. That's tough. At least you haven't let it take you away from the things you enjoy.

mecold

Oh I wish I were an......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I love my job. How many people can say they actually look forward to going to work. The challenges are what make it rewarding. The reason I can continue to do the things I enjoy is by creating and sticking to a "hobby budget". It stinks when I find something I really want, but don't have the funds left in the budget. No more debt though!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back