How is using raw seafood safe/cross contamination of the water column

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've always been curious how its safe to use raw seafood for feeding cross contamination wise. Once you add raw seafood to the water column anything hanging out on the fish is now there in the water column so when you dip your arm into the tank its all potentially transferring to you and could make you sick. This topic never seems to come up and it makes me curious if we did a study of what bacteria lives in our water column beyond a couple hours after feeding other then nitrafying ones we know are there. Are we harboring anything worse we aren't paying attention to?

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I've always been curious how its safe to use raw seafood for feeding cross contamination wise. Once you add raw seafood to the water column anything hanging out on the fish is now there in the water column so when you dip your arm into the tank its all potentially transferring to you and could make you sick. This topic never seems to come up and it makes me curious if we did a study of what bacteria lives in our water column beyond a couple hours after feeding other then nitrafying ones we know are there. Are we harboring anything worse we aren't paying attention to?
How is it different than swimming in the ocean (I am assuming the fish tank is stable and healthy)?

but to be fair, I always scrub down after I do anything to my tank.

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria on the raw seafood could certainly cause gastrointestinal distress. Wash your hands and don’t drink the water— but for far more reasons than that.

OP
OP
C

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it different than swimming in the ocean (I am assuming the fish tank is stable and healthy)?

but to be fair, I always scrub down after I do anything to my tank.
I think it's a difference of closed system Vs open system and I'm not sure if the fish all being alive changes anything Vs Going through a fish market. If you wouldn't eat it raw though it has to have something bad hanging out on it generally speaking. Its not to say it's a death wish to use raw seafood obviously but I am curious what sits in the water column and if somehow the nitrifiers eliminate it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back