How to remove slightly elevated levels of metals from the tank?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based on my latest ICP tests, I have one grow out tank with slightly elevated levels of metals (e.g., aluminum, etc.). I probably can remedy the situation with a major water change, but I am curious what the R2R community has used for removing metals. I know that Cuprisorb, Metasorb, and other treatment options are available. What have you used successfully to remove metals and how did you do it (e.g., mesh bag, placement)? Would it make sense to use a reactor?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before even worrying about it maybe Randy could evaluate your levels to see if any concerns? I know our salt mixes will often introduce trace levels of certain metals.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that you should be careful not to make "Cure worse than the disease"
Perhaps leaving it as it is and concentrating on prevention is a better solution. Why Aluminum levels are elevated? Ceramic biomedia?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had the same thing happen with my ICP test a while back. I determined it was due to washing my filter socks with splashless bleach (which I bought by mistake), which has a ton of metals in it from the detergent in it. I now only use pure bleach to wash my filter socks. I used poly filter, cuprisorb, metasorb UHC, carbon, and did several water changes. I placed the filters in my first chamber right where the water drains into the sump to optimize flow into the filter. I used carbon in a reactor. Reactors will definitely be most efficient at removing things due to the water being forced at high flow through the filter material. It also depends which metals you have, could you share the ICP test?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say that you should be careful not to make "Cure worse than the disease"
Perhaps leaving it as it is and concentrating on prevention is a better solution. Why Aluminum levels are elevated? Ceramic biomedia?

Yes, I think the reason is the bio-blocks that have since been removed.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had the same thing happen with my ICP test a while back. I determined it was due to washing my filter socks with splashless bleach (which I bought by mistake), which has a ton of metals in it from the detergent in it. I now only use pure bleach to wash my filter socks. I used poly filter, cuprisorb, metasorb UHC, carbon, and did several water changes. I placed the filters in my first chamber right where the water drains into the sump to optimize flow into the filter. I used carbon in a reactor. Reactors will definitely be most efficient at removing things due to the water being forced at high flow through the filter material. It also depends which metals you have, could you share the ICP test?
While looking for the cause, I also looked at all my equipment for any rust.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue in my tank. I used metasorb and lots of water changes to correct it. For the metasorb, I just put the pouch in a filter sock. That said, ultimately, the long term fix was switching from Phosguard which is made with aluminum to GFO.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think the reason is the bio-blocks that have since been removed.
Then you can just leave it as it is and regular water changes ( if you do it) will eventually drop level to below detection.

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re ever reaching deep into the tank, remember that most antiperspirant is made from aluminum compounds.
Why does ceramic media increase aluminum?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back