Status
Not open for further replies.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to write about this subject as I too started to dig into the world of chemistry and became determined to simplify the thousands of words and simple but yet complicated chemistry equations about Alkalinity. come to find out its not that complicated! So let's uncomplicated Alkalinity!

WARNING SOME NERD STUFF WILL HAPPEN HERE, NOOOOOTTTTTTT REALLLY ;)!!!!
Steve Brule Confusion GIF

Lets start with what is Alkalinity?
To put it simply Alkalinity is a buffer against ACID. Which means less fluctuations in PH. YADAH YADAH YDAH! What else do we already know?!
Well did you know Alkalinity is also in calcium and mg? A liquid with a PH of 8.3 Alk comes from carbonate ions, and PH below 4.5 is bicarbonate ions? Of course you did. Lets put a pin in that.

So you want to set up or maintain an already running reef tank, but your Alk is running above what your salt is measured for. Lets set up a couple scenarios.
What water did you use to set up that reef tank or what water are you using in your ATO reservoir?

A lot of us use RO duh!!! But we can use what we learn here about using tap water and why its not so much of a good idea to use.
If you ever measured your RO water Alk level it mostly would be at around 1kh or 2kh. Which means that water is acidic and the Alk will come from bicarbonate ions.
Now here's what you probably didn't know acidic liquid will have trillions of hydrogen ions, alot more hydrogen ions than a higher PH / ALK solution. Which would give us CO3/2-

RO vs Distilled water:
RO water has less calcium and magnesium than distilled water hence less alkalinity and more hydrogen ions. Which is what you want when mixing reef salt and or Wanting to dilute Alkalinity in reef tank. Another reason we use Vodka or Vinegar to bring Alk levels down. Again hundreds trillions of hydrogen ions. Let's put a pin in that!

Again we want CO3/2-

Now lets get into mixing salts:

Obviously we want to use a salt where we would want our tank parameters at. ranging from Alk 7.5-12kh. So let's keep this short sweet. Us RO water and make sure the KH is lower than 2kh. Which most of us believe it is since its RO water but all filtrations are not made that same. calcium and magnesium can still be in the water which will allow more Alkalinity to be present. not by much but enough to raise a salt mixture kh from 7.5kh to 8.5kh and so on. Alot of questions on R2R about why my salt is rated for 8kh but when I mix it I'm getting 9kh. Well it was just answered!!!
Steve Brule Dr GIF

Now Lets talk everyone favorite subject dosing:
Dosing Kalkwasser, dosing my favorite All for Reef, raises Alkalinity. and if you're not carefully dosing these solutions you will get a very high Alk reading.
if you were paying g attention to above information then you know once you get above a PH level of 8.0-8.3 Alkalinity is now carbonate ions. At these levels it's absorbing calcium and magnesium at a much faster rate. The higher dosing of these solutions is what causes a very fast spike in Alk rise in reef tanks. You're essentially feeding Alkalinity. Which is why we get precipitation if the rolls were reversed because Alk / PH is lower and can not absorb the extra calcium in the water.
woah GIF

So lets wrap this up I think:

We all jump to dose or tanks or push Alk levels to highs for faster coral growth. But first we need to make sure our corals are consuming Alk Calcium Magnesium before we dose these solutions. We also need to make sure we are starting with RO water that is 1kh or below. A PH of 0 is and KH again 0, gives us carbonic acid. Meaning there is no Alkalinity/calcium/mg in the water.

How about lowering Alk. Vodka / Vinegar? These only work temporally because once you add acidic substance to a very high Alkaline solution your releasing carbon dioxide / bicarbonates but how much bicarbonates is in the water at a PH of 8.0-8.3 and KH of 10-12? Not very much so it will always raise back to a higher kh.

To add bit here. You can always dose Calcium while dosing other additives that raises your Alk levels just to keep it in check. Of course you would need to do calculations to dose the right amount. You can raise your lights and up your flow to combat high all until you bring your levels down safely. Very simple and keep it simple. Successful reefing!

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A liquid with a PH of 8.3 Alk comes from carbonate ions, and PH below 4.5 is bicarbonate ions? Of course you did. Lets put a pin in that.

Just to clarify, seawater alkalinity at pH 8.3 is mostly bicarbonate and a small amount of carbonate, and then still smaller amounts of other things such as borate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of us use RO duh!!! But we can use what we learn here about using tap water and why its not so much of a good idea to use.
If you ever measured your RO water Alk level it mostly would be at around 1kh or 2kh. Which means that water is acidic and the Alk will come from bicarbonate ions.

Ro/DI water generally has 0 dKH of alkalinity. It is not necessarily acidic (pH below 7), but can become acidic as CO2 from the air enters it.

Further, RO/DI water at pH 7 when added to seawater at pH 8.0 will actually raise that pH above 8.0, not lower it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO vs Distilled water:
RO water has less calcium and magnesium than distilled water hence less alkalinity and more hydrogen ions. Which is what you want when mixing reef salt and or Wanting to dilute Alkalinity in reef tank. Another reason we use Vodka or Vinegar to bring Alk levels down. Again hundreds trillions of hydrogen ions. Let's put a pin in that!

Distilled water does not typically have calcium or magnesium in it, and it too has zero alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about lowering Alk. Vodka / Vinegar? These only work temporally because once you add acidic substance to a very high Alkaline solution your releasing carbon dioxide / bicarbonates but how much bicarbonates is in the water at a PH of 8.0-8.3 and KH of 10-12? Not very much so it will always raise back to a higher kh.

Vodka does not lower alkalinity and is not particularly acidic.

Vinegar is acidic is somewhat lowers alkalinity until it is metabolized fully to CO2, which adds back the alk that was lost when you added it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well did you know Alkalinity is also in calcium and mg?

Calcium and magnesium generally do not provide alkalinity in seawater. Dosing calcium supplements such as calcium chloride or magnesium supplements such as magnesium chloride or magnesium sulfate do not add alkalinity.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sharing a chart to show what happens when the PH changes in the ocean between carbonate and bicarbonate. As you see carbonate levels drop as the PH in the ocean drops. Alk is now the form of bicarbonate in lower PH levels
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 11.22.48 PM.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is now the form of bicarbonate in lower PH levels

As can be seen from that plot, bicarbonate predominates at any pH normally attained in a reef tank.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As can be seen from that plot, bicarbonate predominates at any pH normally attained in a reef tank.
You're forgetting the chemistry of it all I see. At what PH does calcification happen? Why is that because its less hydrogen ions meaning calcification can happen due to the abundance in carbonate. What happens when water gets more acidic? Hydrogen ions start to bind to bicarbonate ions because there is lack of carbonate in the water. calcification can no longer happen.

I never said theres not one or the other on either end of the spectrum. I mentioned higher PH theres more carbonate due to the fact hydrogen ions are not abundance which is also explained in my thread. hydrogen ions are still present even at higher PH levels, so is bicarbonate. but at that point hydrogen ions are free floaters. Bicarbonate and carbonate will always be the base. Around 8.0-8.3 as seen in the chart there is an abundance of carbonate. which side of the spectrum is carbonate on? the acidic or alkalinity side? Alkalinity between 8-12 does what to coral? Allow for calcification due to the abundance of carbonate. Which why completely across the world wide Web you see water / ocean water alkalinity is carbonate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’m forgetting anything related to this thread.

On a molecular level, it is an interesting question of why some corals may calcify faster at higher pH. There are two possibilities that I don’t think have been adequately disentangled in the scientific literature:

1. Corals get carbonate by directly taking up carbonate, and there is more at higher pH

2. Corals get carbonate by directly taking up bicarbonate, splitting it into H+ and carbonate, and spitting out the H+. Spitting out the internally accumulating H+ is easier at higher pH.

It is certainly true that faster abiotic calcification (precipitation) at higher pH is due to #1.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which why completely across the world wide Web you see water / ocean water alkalinity is carbonate.

You still seem to think there is more carbonate than bicarbonate at pH 8.0-8.3.

Do you think that? It certainly is not true.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im adding more information about solutions we use that has traces of hydrogen/hydroxide that also is used to make calcium and magnesium chloride which makes products like Red Sea Calcium/Magnesium in liquid far more soluble in liquid form/water.

It's the same in all PH/Alkalinity boosters. further showing us how Alkalinity is so attached to calc and mg.

This is why we calculate what we dose our tanks so things like Alk will not have a major spike. Making sure the consumption from our corals are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back