how long can a claim stay closed up

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new derasa shipped to me last week. The first day I got it it was open off and on the first day but I was not worried about it due to shipping stress. It closed up and has been closed for the most part. I noticed the the very outside edge of the lip will come out but that's about it. I know its still alive because the lip will go in and out with it. But my question is how long can it go like this before problems with it due to it being closed up for so long?

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your asking about a clam.
A derasa clam. Correct?
Tell us about your system. How did you acclamate the clam?
You are correct, I floated the bag for 30 mins then done a drip acclamation for about a hour. It is in a 30 gallon tank right now for a temporary holding tank that has been up and running for 5+ years. This is my SPS frag tank and grow out before they get moved to my 90 gallon cube or 200 gallon display tank. For lighting it is a kessil 160 with 4 T5's over it.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when the light is not enough, you would still see the clam opening, so I would not guess light as the cause.
Some other questions about the system:
- What are the parameters?
- What is the flow that the clam is getting? (since it's an SPS frag tank there could be too much flow)
- What other fishes/invertebrates are in the system? This is a big one, a fellow inhabitant picking on the mantle would cause the symptoms you're describing.
- Maybe some pictures of the tank and the clam to assess the health?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there any new growth on the shell when you received it? There could be a couple of issues going on, maybe post a clear pic if you can? Also, the acclimation seems a little short for a clam that's been shipped. There should be a very slow acclimation with shipped clams, these guys have organs, so they need time to adjust to the changes in pH, etc.... It takes a clam a lot of energy to keep closed, their anatomy is designed to keep the shell open without much effort, but to keep it closed requires some effort and expended energy.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it took me a little while to reply.

All 8.5
Cal 430
Mag 1425
PO4 ? Hanna just died on me
Temp 78.5

My iPhone sucks at taking pictures of my tank.
IMG_3817.jpeg

IMG_3816.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put the clam on the sand and not wedged into a crevice. Derasa are found sandy and rubble bottoms and not on rock. They use their weight to keep them in place and upright, so they should go on sand or flat area where they can't fall, etc.

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was but just keep falling over on its side so I put it on that rock temporarily. I will move it down to see if it improves

OP
OP
1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was watching my tank this morning and I figured out why it’s not opening. I think it’s time to go fishing or get a really tiny speargun because I found the fish in the tank nips at it anytime it tries to open up. So after 30 minutes of chasing it around look who opens up.
IMG_3820.jpeg
IMG_3821.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any new growth on the shell when you received it? There could be a couple of issues going on, maybe post a clear pic if you can? Also, the acclimation seems a little short for a clam that's been shipped. There should be a very slow acclimation with shipped clams, these guys have organs, so they need time to adjust to the changes in pH, etc.... It takes a clam a lot of energy to keep closed, their anatomy is designed to keep the shell open without much effort, but to keep it closed requires some effort and expended energy.

Interesting. So it takes more work for the clam to keep itself closed, than it does to keep itself open.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 109 73.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back