How long can an individual coral live in captivity?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only hope/wish to be as successful! :) I just got a teeny tiny frag of a supposedly slow growing type of xenia (hopefully). It was about the size of my pinky finger nail and it was all closed up because it had just been moved to a different tank in the store when I saw it. The guy said it's normally twice the size so I bought it, got it home, dipped it and placed it in my tank a couple days ago and it has nearly doubled in size which makes me happy. My first attempt with a Corky Finger didn't go so well. I hope to get mine looking like yours. :)
You want some of my Xenia??? Lol, it's a quick grower, too quick. In all honesty if you see anything in my build thread that you like I can probably frag it and drop it to ya in GTA one day. Best of luck with this new addition!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, it depends on if you are looking at the colony or the individual polyps. Hypothetically, given no environmental changes or pressures, the colony should grow exponentially

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want some of my Xenia??? Lol, it's a quick grower, too quick. In all honesty if you see anything in my build thread that you like I can probably frag it and drop it to ya in GTA one day. Best of luck with this new addition!
Awesome. Thanks! I will have a look at your build thread. I finally got my black box light setup. It's a Lominie Pixie 30. I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust the channels. I think I almost blinded my fish when the white channel came on at 100% (note to self... Install lights during the day so it's not as shocking to the fish). Added to that I setup my new powerhead Monday so hopefully with the proper lighting and flow it will make for happier corals. :) The Xenia I picked up is a Cespitularia. It's "supposed" to be a slow grower but I might be like many others and eventually have buyer's remorse!! Haha. It seemed to be doing quite well under the crappy Top Fin stock light which is surprising. LOL

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Torch Coral that I’ve had for almost 11 years. I had it when I first started in a BioCube, now it’s in my 220g. Survived 4 moves, one a 1000 mile move across country. Kind of incredible I still have that same coral now I think about it as I type this out.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted these on another thread here on R2R. A 27 y o pearl bubble, and a 26 y o bubble. The pearl bubble has been fragged and distributed plenty. So several hobbyist with a piece of history around. The regular bubble I just cut the base 1 time to make it shorter. The top has never been fragged. Pictured are the pearl bubble, bubble, and a picture of both in 1995.

Attachments

• 196F8DF5-CEE2-46AF-BBD1-F9E2D85E3600.jpeg
    196F8DF5-CEE2-46AF-BBD1-F9E2D85E3600.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 40875573-D84B-45BE-B2A2-839E6B535239.jpeg
    40875573-D84B-45BE-B2A2-839E6B535239.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 23
  • FE4D408F-7939-439A-9FA3-B981D37FC3E8.jpeg
    FE4D408F-7939-439A-9FA3-B981D37FC3E8.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 26

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks! I will have a look at your build thread. I finally got my black box light setup. It's a Lominie Pixie 30. I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust the channels. I think I almost blinded my fish when the white channel came on at 100% (note to self... Install lights during the day so it's not as shocking to the fish). Added to that I setup my new powerhead Monday so hopefully with the proper lighting and flow it will make for happier corals. :) The Xenia I picked up is a Cespitularia. It's "supposed" to be a slow grower but I might be like many others and eventually have buyer's remorse!! Haha. It seemed to be doing quite well under the crappy Top Fin stock light which is surprising. LOL
How is the Xenia? If an invasive sort, you'd see it by now ....slowly a bit of growth or starting to spread?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the Xenia? If an invasive sort, you'd see it by now ....slowly a bit of growth or starting to spread?
It's still the original frag stem that is slooooowly growing upward but it's not spreading but it's beautifully healthy. Do the invasive ones begin spreading that quickly? If so hopefully this means it's a "non-invasive" type (or at least one that takes a long time to become invasive). LOL I would attach a pic but my lights just went out. I will take a pic in the morning.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still the original frag stem that is slooooowly growing upward but it's not spreading but it's beautifully healthy. Do the invasive ones begin spreading that quickly? If so hopefully this means it's a "non-invasive" type (or at least one that takes a long time to become invasive). LOL I would attach a pic but my lights just went out. I will take a pic in the morning.
Yes they usually spread quick when comfortable.... I think you've found a winner here. But keep a trained eye on it. Ya, post some pics tomorrow.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they usually spread quick when comfortable.... I think you've found a winner here. But keep a trained eye on it. Ya, post some pics tomorrow.
Trust me... I keep an eagle eye on it. I probably stare at it five times a day just to make sure it's not attempting anything invasive. Haha. It's growing about as fast as a sloth moves. LOL

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back