How long can corals live in a bag

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm from Australia and i recently purchased some sun corals and a walking dendro. As usual with Australia post there is delays and by the time they arrive they will be in their bags for nearly 72 hours. Will they be alive by the time they arrive at my house and is there any precautions I can take to ensure they survive. Also, would I be able to get a refund from the shipping company because its their responibilty or is it buyer beware in this case.
Kind regards.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - welcome to R2R! We're happy to have you! :anguished-face:

1. Whether they will be alive or not is extremely hard to advice on as a number of different factors can affect this. 72 hours is a long time - but remember; coral is shipped around the world every day. Fingers crossed you'll be alright - it will be stressed though.

2. Whether you would be able to get a refund or not would depend on the T&Cs of the vendor, the shipping company and local Australian legislation. I would reach out to the shop you bought it from first; after all, they are the ones selecting which curriers they wish to work with.

I never (NEVER!) buy any livestock online, too many factors I don't control. Aussie-land is large, but also big on local fish shops, no? Support one of them (if you can!) and save yourself the hassle and worry going forward!

Best of luck, let us know how you get on!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on several variables in particular temperature.

Ive ordered most of my corals online (UK) and never had an issue and the shops generally give an arrival alive guarantee as well. These have been generally 24 hour next day delivery though.

You could always do a small trial order and see how you get on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back