How long can fish live without food?

kim7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I am still cycling my 20g tank so I dont have any fish yet.
This summer, I am going overseas for about 2 weeks,(maybe more). I am just wondering if the fish can live without feeding during those time I am gone. I have an ATO setup so I wont need to worry about that.
If your wondering what kind of fish I will be having, I planning on keeping maybe clownfish, goby, and chalk bass.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATO setup so I wont need to worry about that.

Have you met Mr. Murphy yet? If not, don't be surprised if he makes a visit while you are away.

IMHO, 2 weeks is far too long to leave a tank unattended. I believe that you should have someone checking on your tank. Make up a checklist of things for them to do and check up on. Include contact info for someone who is into marine tanks that they can call for advice. Maybe even give them a link to this site so that they can post questions if needed.

RunBikeSwim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I am still cycling my 20g tank so I dont have any fish yet.
This summer, I am going overseas for about 2 weeks,(maybe more). I am just wondering if the fish can live without feeding during those time I am gone. I have an ATO setup so I wont need to worry about that.
If your wondering what kind of fish I will be having, I planning on keeping maybe clownfish, goby, and chalk bass.
IME, a lightly stocked established tank can support life for at least 5 days (last vacation) without stock loss. My freshwater tanks have gone without food for more than 10 days without stock loss. You have to pick the right fishes, critters, corals, and anemones that live off light, eat algae, and feed on pods. The best advice is to not stock your tank till you return from your trip. But if you must, please be selective in stocking selection. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

kim7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I'm going to get an auto feeder. I've never even thought of this hah

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also you can hire a pet sitter to come feed the tank every other day or something pretty cheap.

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually gone two weeks without feeding but the tank was well established with plenty of microfauna to sustain them. If they take pellet food or flake, I'd definitely just purchase an auto feeder - it's only about 50 bucks. Well worth the investment.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've actually gone two weeks without feeding but the tank was well established with plenty of microfauna to sustain them. If they take pellet food or flake, I'd definitely just purchase an auto feeder - it's only about 50 bucks. Well worth the investment.

What type of fish? I would never recommend anyone not feeding their fish for even a week much less 2.

cpvince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fish? I would never recommend anyone not feeding their fish for even a week much less 2.

Indeed. The auto feeder would be the recommendation, I am only offering empirical evidence that it is "possible." And that's a good point - it was a pair of clowns and a wrasse in a 30g. The clowns will be about 12 years old this year :)

bluerexy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank was more established, I would say they could go at least a week but I agree with above to have someone stop by and feed the fish. I went away for my honeymoon for two weeks and had prepared meals for a friend to feed and just drop in the tank. You can get those 2oz cups with lids on amazon for pretty cheap.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, most, but not all fish will easily live for two weeks without food. Fish are cold blooded and don't require hardly any food especially if it is kind of dark so they won't be active. Is it a good Idea? No. The fish will become thin and their immune system will be compromised as that depends on food every day so the fish may become sick.
When I went to Viet Nam I had a large catfish in a tank. I don't think anyone fed it for the year I was gone and it died a few weeks before I came home. Of course I don't recommend that, and neither did the cat fish.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As other said, Auto feeder is a good option , also I think that 2 weeks without anyone to check for the tank is a bad idea, I think that you should have someone to have a quick look every few days. A controller like apex comes handy in this situation as you can monitor and control the tank. just keep in mind that controllers adds extra cost and do not invest in the controller if its costs more than the tank itself. also exchanging house keys with a reefing friend living near by is a good option that is what I am doing for my next 1 month vacation

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back