how long can you go without a skimmer?

Pinstripes

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My p.o.s coralife super skimmer went out today, how long can I go without a skimmer before my new one gets here? its a 75 gallan reef tank!! thanks:nerd:
 
IMO you can go forever without a skimmer, but that doesn't mean you can stick with your normal husbandry. For every week you go without I would do 10% or more water changes every week, and you should be fine.

It also depends on how heavily stocked you are. Do you have a heavy bioload or small?
 
IMO you can go forever without a skimmer, but that doesn't mean you can stick with your normal husbandry. For every week you go without I would do 10% or more water changes every week, and you should be fine.

It also depends on how heavily stocked you are. Do you have a heavy bioload or small?

I got 7 fishes, bunch of mushrooms, zoas, candy canes and others!!
 
Are they big fish, dirty fish.? You'll probably be fine with 10% weekly till you get you new skimmer.

Are you getting a new skimmer or pump?
 
maroone clown, pink spotted goby, 2 damsels, a radiant wrasses. Getting a new Vertex skimmer.

Are they big fish, dirty fish.? You'll probably be fine with 10% weekly till you get you new skimmer.

Are you getting a new skimmer or pump?
 
Yeah, you should be fine with 10%. Test your water and if you start to get spikes, up the amount.
I heard great reviews on the Vertex, but have not tried one myself.
 
+1..
Just stay on top of your water changes and you will be fine...just watch your ph it might drop a little due to lack of oxygenation but I doubt much since those skimmers don't put out much bubbles...;)
No worries man I just got a skimmer on my tank 2 days ago and I got a full blown sps reef....;)
 
You'll be fine. I'm running a 120 with no skimmer, no fuge. I also have 11 fish. I don't think you'll have to do water changes all the time, since I do mine at least every 2 weeks to once a month. Tanks also mainly SPS.

Mine's been running this way for almost a year now.
 
Last edited:
My p.o.s coralife super skimmer went out today, how long can I go without a skimmer before my new one gets here? its a 75 gallan reef tank!! thanks:nerd:


Indefinately.

With a refugium and macros algae refugiums skimmers are not required.

But even without a refugium, the tank will probably do fine but you may have more algae problems.


my .02
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new