How long do apex temperature probes last?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Title says it all! How often do you think the apex temperature probe should be replaced? Mine is over a year old and lately I've been having to calibrate it every other week or so as it seems to drift a degree or 2. I'm just wondering what other people's experience is with the lifespan of the temperature probe and what your thoughts are on replacement time frame. Thanks

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure the exact time frame but mine is almost 3 years old and has never been calibrated....still tests spot on.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I've had my apex since 2018 and all my probes are still spot on.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for 10 years and it does drift a little (a few tenths of a degree) so I calibrate it twice a year because I'm a stickler. If you're calibrating that much, I'd suggest you contact Neptune support asap and ask them about it. Temperature is not something you want to have at risk in a reef tank obviously. Anyway, before you call, I'd suggest carefully inspecting both the probe itself and the wire for damage or severe kinking. I'm also pretty sure I recall reading that electrical interference can cause issues with the Apex temp probe---but I can't remember where I read that. Do you have it plugged in directly to your base station or into another module? Lots of other wires around it? Is the probe near a heating element or pump?

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine must be a good 5 year old but crapped out last week

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had mine for 10 years and it does drift a little (a few tenths of a degree) so I calibrate it twice a year because I'm a stickler. If you're calibrating that much, I'd suggest you contact Neptune support asap and ask them about it. Temperature is not something you want to have at risk in a reef tank obviously. Anyway, before you call, I'd suggest carefully inspecting both the probe itself and the wire for damage or severe kinking. I'm also pretty sure I recall reading that electrical interference can cause issues with the Apex temp probe---but I can't remember where I read that. Do you have it plugged in directly to your base station or into another module? Lots of other wires around it? Is the probe near a heating element or pump?
I'll have to check to see what wires it's routed next to. It is plugged directly into the base station.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Attachments

• 16215553965829104045971846570492.jpg
    16215553965829104045971846570492.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 54

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this. It's calibration is certified and the long probe makes sampling much easier with my setup. I replace my reference thermometer every few years with a new certified version.

That’s what I use as well. Although, I haven’t had to replace mine as I verify it every six months with a calibration machine I have at work for our food safety thermometers.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider once you get your probe working again is if you use a certified thermometer to check the temp and the probe is at the proper temp, their is no need to actually recalibrate it. Why mess with it if it’s working?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back