How Long Do LEDs Last?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whats the average hour expectancy of an LED unit and do the degrade in output over time like T5 bulbs do? Also I know with some LEDs you can replace the diode as they die but what about with the name brand lights like Kessil, Ecotech and Maxspect?

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED life span depends on several factors. Models that drive their LEDs at full power generally do not last as long as LEDs driven lower than their rated power. How well the unit dissipates heat is another factor. Heat and electronics are not friends. The type of LED driver used can also have an effect. A quality driver will have a constant voltage and current applied to the LEDs which prevents any power spikes due to changing voltage. Quality drivers also feature a soft start to further reduces chances of voltage spikes which can lower longevity of LEDs. Quality LED lights should last at least 10 years with a very low percentage of spectrum shift or output during that time. Most quality units will have the LEDs soldered to a board and can be changed with basic soldering skills. Plug in LEDs are prone to problems down the road due to poor contact with the circuit board. A soldered LED provides the best electrical path.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back