How long do you expect something to last?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
i have a question.

how long do you expect an item to last?
if you buy an led light that you spent 500-800$ on do you expect it to last 1 year? 5years?

or a return pump that cost 300-500$?

just curious of what your expectorations are with the price of items on your tank.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
i have a question.

if you buy an led light that you spent 500-800$ on do you expect it to last 1 year? 5years?

just curious of what your expectorations are with the price of items on your tank.
I have several expensive pieces of reef equipment that is multiple years old and they still work like brand new. I feel in reefing u get what u pay for. That doesn't always fit every budget but rings to be true in other aspects other than just reefing.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think 1000 dollers for a light with a one year warranty shows how well it’s made . I understand the 1 year warranty but to me it shows you how well it’s made and like other electronics in the hobbie . I also done get how not to many thing are water proof

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just think 1000 dollers for a light with a one year warranty shows how well it’s made . I understand the 1 year warranty but to me it shows you how well it’s made and like other electronics in the hobbie . I also done get how not to many thing are water proof
Get it. most major name brands r going to get u the best u can. things tend to cost what they cost. But if your looking for as good as u can get check reviews and stay away from no name knock offs.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a decade guy, except for heaters, which 5 years seems fine. I get there with most things... Fluval, Laguna and Eheim Pumps, MH lighting, Tunze Flow Pumps and ATO, Ranco and Medusa Heater Controllers.

Does it count if a MH ballast needs a $5 ignitor which is actually fixable by a dummy like me?

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a decade guy, except for heaters, which 5 years seems fine. I get there with most things... Fluval, Laguna and Eheim Pumps, MH lighting, Tunze Flow Pumps and ATO, Ranco and Medusa Heater Controllers.

Does it count if a MH ballast needs a $5 ignitor which is actually fixable by a dummy like me?
No replacement parts don’t count as long as they fail in a time you deem acceptable

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing and I’ve just bought a lot of expensive equipment. I’m hoping everything lasts 5 years at least.

With freshwater everything just seemed to last for a very long time.

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly when you have to spend $1000 per light I feel it’s unacceptable for them to last less than 5 years. And even after 5 years there should be replacement parts available to fix your multi-thousand dollar investment for at least another 5 years

md2882

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
i have a question.

The date on my MP40’s I bought new is December 23, 2010. Replaced the wet sides once. My sicce 5 return pump is 12 years old replace the impeller once. Octopus skimmer is 14. Replaced the pump once after 10 years

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont spend that on a pump, my return pump a jebao 10000 a great DC basement return pump that has ran 3 years with no issues for $120 and I keep a spare in case I do have issues.
500-800$ on do you expect it to last 1 year? 5years?
5 years minimum, but im not a sucker for name brand garbage unless i know it will last; I do like my mp40 QD but only get 3-5 out of them

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back