How long do you wait before adding coral to a new tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Old thread, but I want to bump it.

I am looking into corals, but I was told to wait at least 6 months! It seems that I was told very wrong?

(Setup is a 29g nano tank)
My rules is easy coral after 8-10 weeks and monitor levels.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04232021.jpg

Super poor image, but this is a 6 week old tank with lots plopped in after about 5 days of getting wet. Everything has been in this at least 3 weeks and mostly 5.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling has nothing to do with corals. Its the nutrient swings that occur with cycling and potential algae explosions in young tanks that cause problems. If you can avoid them you can add SPS day one.

If you use healthy LR this greatly reduces ready time.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling has nothing to do with corals. Its the nutrient swings that occur with cycling and potential algae explosions in young tanks that cause problems. If you can avoid them you can add SPS day one.

If you use healthy LR this greatly reduces ready time.
I will definitely wait then. My tank has lots of algae.

LexMueller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks guys! This has helped me so much. Been in the hobby for over a year now and have learned so many things but this. This is the ultimate. I’m getting a new 25g peninsula upgrading from a fluval evo. Guess I don’t gotta cycle to move my corals! Thanks

Lita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once your cycle is done, how long do most of you wait before adding coral? (and why?) It also might be good to specify when you add different types of coral (SPS, LPS, and softies) since IME the latter 2 seem to do well in a younger tank than SPS. Give us your thoughts!
I add corals from 3-7 days after setup and that’s only to make sure that my tank isn’t leaking, salinity is correct and temp is stable. That being said I have running tanks that I steal filter media from and I always use stability in a new tank. Feeding the corals gives a good bioload to continue cycling and maturing the tank. I’ve never had an issue doing this not even when I didn’t use media from established tanks. I find it’s better to add your corals easier to work without fish and let the corals start to establish before adding fish. This is also good for the fish as they are coming into a more mature thank and don’t have you sticking in your hands all the time. The only thing I would caution id that if you are new and don’t know have to control your nutrients very well you could get an algae bloom / hair algae outbreak or diatom etc that would damage your corals. It’s important to keep nitrates and phosphate in check and keep light to a minimum to satisfy the corals you have. As your tank matures you can increase your lights.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back