How long does coral take to acclimate when moved?

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried the reef builder coral in cycle and all of my original coral from my last tank as well as new coral I ordered and doing ehh and not really thriving. My zoas and torches are opening/ extending briefly then closing/retracting. My Duncan is fully retracted as well. My gonis are just barely out and my galexia is barely peaking out. The only corals I’d say are doing great are my acans, leptos, nem (who ate a shrimp today), my Xenia and my GSP. Everything else seems to be taking the move pretty rough. They’ve been in this new tank going on 2-3 days and they just aren’t looking like they wanna be here. Any suggestions?
My parameters are as follows,

PH 8.2
SG 1.026
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 0

I’m assuming phosphate is a bit high because I’m getting into the brown algae phase.

All the corals I had in my previous tank were doing just fine and growing well.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fact that you have extended corals makes me think you don't have 1ppm ammonia. What test kit are you using?

Lack of nitrates won't help anything.

Did you change your light?

OP
OP
prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you have extended corals makes me think you don't have 1ppm ammonia. What test kit are you using?

API. And I know but on the reef builders article they said that it’s perfectly fine to cycle with coral in

OP
OP
prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And it’s the the same light as well as I added extra because I went from a 30 to a 150

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take time to adjust. This is drastically different than what they are used to in terms of flow, tank parameters, and even lighting. It’s the same light but now you have multiple fixtures and they will overlap each other

A coral shipped to me typically takes 2-5 days to fully open depending on the species. I have a goni that started to open slowly but wasn’t fully open until 2 weeks

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important now is finding what appears to be a good spot for them and then patience. Partial open is good. They are testing the waters and need stability to come out more. Frequent moving will delay the process. If a coral doesn’t open at all in a day or two, then it’s probably not happy with lighting or flow and you should consider moving.

OP
OP
prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni, galexia, torch - these can take a little longer. Goni especially

Proper flow is important for these guys to come out

Post some pics if you can of the whole tank and then the corals and it will help people get a better idea of what’s going on
I’ll get you some pics here in the morning. I tried placing them in around the same par and area of the tank as they were in in my 30 gal. The Goni and torches are on the rock nearest my power head and the galexia is nearest to my outflow. They’ve only been in this new tank for around 2-3 days

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a cycled tank for corals however I find that it does stress them a bit esp euphyllia

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get you some pics here in the morning. I tried placing them in around the same par and area of the tank as they were in in my 30 gal. The Goni and torches are on the rock nearest my power head and the galexia is nearest to my outflow. They’ve only been in this new tank for around 2-3 days

This could be good or bad, hard to tell until we have pics. I know torch doesn’t really like strong direct flow. Goni typically needs an established stable system. Both of these like medium flow

They might have been close to a powerhead in the 30, but are you using stronger more powerful powerheads now that it’s a 150?

After we see some pics of the setup I bet we can give better advice

OP
OP
prestonrabe

prestonrabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be good or bad, hard to tell until we have pics. I know torch doesn’t really like strong direct flow. Goni typically needs an established stable system. Both of these like medium flow

They might have been close to a powerhead in the 30, but are you using stronger more powerful powerheads now that it’s a 150?

After we see some pics of the setup I bet we can give better advice
Yes it is a stronger powerhead and something to consider for sure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back