How long does ich take to kill fish?

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a 75 gallon tank running with 3 tangs a Scopas , powder brown and sailfin 2 lionfish and been stable since I added my last fish (second lionfish) a week and half ago. Last Friday I noticed all 3 tangs had white specs but the other fish did not. I figured I’d get myself a QT the next day however when I woke up the specs were gone and then came back later that day. I’ve noticed each night the specs seem to gather but during the day they disappear. It’s like it comes and goes each day. All my fish still eat like normal and behave regularly so I’m really confused. Still considering my QT as it is on standby.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Unless all fish are small juveniles that’s a full tank.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said. My system has ich in it. I can’t QT well enough to irradiate it nor do I have the room to tear down a 300 gallon system to let it go fallow while caring for my fish. I have a blue regal who once in a while gets a couple spots usually lasts a day or 2 and goes away for a few more months. Usually flares up when I add a new fish or something stresses him so they can live for a long time with ich. Look up ich management if that’s a route you wish to go. There will be lots that criticize it but eradicating it can be tough. Trick is to keep them well fed and not stressed. The sail fin, powder brown and scopas will most likely be stressing each other out even with out the lion fish. Again all just my 2 cents.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back