How long for corals to die/show distress?

Cwalster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 70g tank a few months ago, and everything has been going well for the most part. My tank has had stable numbers within good ranges for a while.
As of two weeks ago, I started adding cheap beginner-level corals to the tank - a couple of mushrooms, a zoa, a trumpet, some form of euphyllia, and a birdsnest. All small frags. Everything has been opening regularly, hasn't changed color, or shown any form of distress that my newbie eyes can see. I'm not seeing any growth, but I wouldn't expect to see that in this time frame either. Everything has been dipped prior to tank, all the fish have gone through quarantine.
My question is when do the more experienced keepers consider a tank fully "safe" to add more corals? How fast should I see a problem that would cause people to stop and fix it before continuing?
I'm looking at a pretty bare tank and the black Friday deals are getting tempting. I realize there really is no substitute for just going for it, but don't want to throw money or lives down the drain.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience 2 weeks after any changes is long enough to see anything malicious show itself. Others may have differing opinions, but this has generally worked for me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back