How long have you gone on Vacation for with no tank service.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a couple Fish only marine tanks... many years ago. I got out of the hobby do to moving all over the place. Always wanted a nice reef tank. Now I’m settled, lived in the same place for 10 years, semi retired. I want to jump back in the hobby. With all the new tech in these systems I was wondering, how long have you been able to go away and leave your system unattended?

My planed build will be a Reefer 650, Full blown Apex controller with as much automation as I can go with.

The longest I would be gone for would be 1-2weeks.. once or twice a year. Is it feasible to have my planned tank unattended for this length of time.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a couple Fish only marine tanks... many years ago. I got out of the hobby do to moving all over the place. Always wanted a nice reef tank. Now I’m settled, lived in the same place for 10 years, semi retired. I want to jump back in the hobby. With all the new tech in these systems I was wondering, how long have you been able to go away and leave your system unattended?

My planed build will be a Reefer 650, Full blown Apex controller with as much automation as I can go with.

The longest I would be gone for would be 1-2weeks.. once or twice a year. Is it feasible to have my planned tank unattended for this length of time.
I leave for 2 weeks a couple of times per year. I’ve recently retired myself so I anticipate the frequency and length to increase. I like having a video monitor, my apex, and lots of redundancy I’ve built in over the years.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine for 1-2 weeks if you automate things like feeding, dosing foundation elements, auto top off etc.

It’s probably worth getting Apex and automate as many things as you can. A HD camera is worth while as well so if you get any alerts you can check with the camera

When I’m away I open the sump cabinet and have a camera pointing at the whole system so I can see what’s what.

There are some situations it’s difficult to control, but cover as many possibilities as you reasonably can

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back