How long in acclimation box?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Cleaner Wrasse for my 130. However, the Midas Blenny (which I have had for over 2 years), did not take kindly to the new addition. He immediately started nipping at the new wrasse. I have a feeling it is because he is long and slender like the blenny is. I put the cleaner wrasse in a acclimation box in the tank. The blenny continued to charge towards the glass after the Wrasse. How long should I keep the cleaner wrasse in the box before releasing him into the tank?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Cleaner Wrasse for my 130. However, the Midas Blenny (which I have had for over 2 years), did not take kindly to the new addition. He immediately started nipping at the new wrasse. I have a feeling it is because he is long and slender like the blenny is. I put the cleaner wrasse in an acclimation box in the tank. The blenny continued to charge towards the glass after the Wrasse. How long should I keep the cleaner wrasse in the box before releasing him into the tank?
Wait until the Blenny is completely ignoring him. However long that takes. If it doesn’t happen, you may need to rehome one of them.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the acclimation box above the Blenny’s “lair”. I am hoping the constant close proximity will allow him to become bored with the Cleaner Wrasse. He definitely seems more subdued this morning, but keeping a watchful eye on the wrasse.
If I had to rehome, it would definitely be the Cleaner Wrasse. My Midas Blenny is like a member of the family now.

I feel bad for the wrasse as he has a lot of energy and no way to expend it in that small box.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the acclimation box above the Blenny’s “lair”. I am hoping the constant close proximity will allow him to become bored with the Cleaner Wrasse. He definitely seems more subdued this morning, but keeping a watchful eye on the wrasse.
If I had to rehome, it would definitely be the Cleaner Wrasse. My Midas Blenny is like a member of the family now.

I feel bad for the wrasse as he has a lot of energy and no way to expend it in that small box.
A little stress from the box is better than being chased and ripped apart.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back