How long should i have my light on

Clownfishdude29

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2020
Messages
114
Reaction score
34
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zoanthids, green star polyp, and pulsing xenia in my 20 gallon. How long should i have the light on?
 
A good rule of thumb is as long as you have daylight outside, the tank should have light. Not full blast all the time. Ramp up then ramp down.
This can be adjusted so if its dark in the evening you can still light your tank, Just start the light cycle later in the AM.
Now if you at the poles ( Alaska ) this will not work.
 
As best as I understand it, most corals (really, their zooxanthellae, i.e. algae) only do photosynthesis during high intensity light, think 9 or 10 am until 3 or 4 pm out on a reef. So 5 to 7 hours of high intensity light is probably optimal. However, longer amounts of intense light are harmless... up to a point. The length of sunrise and sunset with lower intensity light is entirely up to you, the corals don't care.

I do a 4 hour very gradual sunrise, 6 hours of high PAR midday light and then 5 hours of a very gradual sunset. My last hour of sunrise and my first hour of sunset may also be strong enough for photosynthesis. So I have 6 to 8 hours of high PAR light.
 
I ramp leds up for 2.5 hours down 2.5 with about 9 hour at 50% then my t5 are on for 5 hours right in the middle of the time period.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new