How long should i wait

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i moved my tank from my bedroom to the dining room recently and I took a lot of precautions so I would not start another cycle. I took the rock out and got all the non dirty water out then sucked up so much nasty water. We made sure to clean will but not get too much bacteria out then we added all the water from the tank back into it added the fish and coral back then we added bottled bacteria. That was yesterday. Today i added some stuff that will help the water stay good and i have done a water change and nothing has spiked yet. How long should i wait until deciding it won’t cycle again?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post pics here’s some helpful details:

adding cycling bottled bac to established tanks doesn’t help, it hurts, but you’d be reporting dead fish by now if your move caused a cycle.

the window for loss due to errant tank transfer is a few hours it cannot be a delayed loss. To move much safer next time do it this way below

why would adding bac be bad

its unhelpful because they compete for oxygen and have no where to attach, nothing you moved dried out therefore it retained all bac and the bottle bac was a competing dose your system tolerated but wasn’t helped by at all.

post number one from that thread shows you how the opposite is true regarding tank transfer, we’d do opposite than that original plan next time.

your sandbed didn’t have the dangerous complement in it some tanks have thankfully.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it would have killed your tank within two hours. Still redo it per above, or that cyano is coming. Read post one and select a few examples so you can see the breadth of info and prevention

FlowGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have transferred all of my tanks from small to big over the years (5 tanks). The sand would be the sketchy thing like it was stated above. I always got new sand whenever I moved them over. I transferred all of my coral, fish, live rock over a few days or week. Be observant and watch your parameters and coral polyp extension. I would do water changes to my old tank and put the established water into the new tank. You should be fine if you kept all of your established live rock and used as much of the old water as possible. I've learned its all about the biological filtration.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once rocks are cycled, if they are wet, they are live and cycled.
The tank would be ready for fish.

Cycled just mean the full nitrogen process takes place and your rocks would have maintained the largest amount bacteria, as it was upstairs. Old water does not contain a ton of bacteria.

IMM, that change appears transparent to the cycle process and was capable of converting any ammonia to nitrite, nitrogen gas, thus safe for fish.

FlowGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once rocks are cycled, if they are wet, they are live and cycled.
The tank would be ready for fish.

Cycled just mean the full nitrogen process takes place and your rocks would have maintained the largest amount bacteria, as it was upstairs. Old water does not contain a ton of bacteria.

IMM, that change appears transparent to the cycle process and was capable of converting any ammonia to nitrite, nitrogen gas, thus safe for fish.
I like to use the old tank water because the fish and coral are acclimated to that water. Obviously you cant use all of it but every drop counts in my opinion. That is just what I have done, there are tons of successful ways to go about this process. Like stated above the established rock is the most important part.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have transferred using existing water before as they didn’t want to pay $$ to make and dose the new mix

we drew off topwater down to last 1/3 rd which was cloudy bc they were removing rocks and fish too.

used only a third new water this worked on a huge tank transfer job we did. They were staying in same home but changing tanks due to bowing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back