How long to drip/float acclimate your fish?

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be cautious of course it can hurt them and possibly kill them so do it only if you see something that looks odd.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you see signs of possible hitchhikers or something that looks off on the invertebrates, it is possible they could carry something over to your DT.
No. You can dip corals in things like bayer or CoralRx or you can spot treat algae with peroxide. Do not dip any inverts in fresh water. If you dont want anything bad getting into your display, QT.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if I give any false info I'm in no way super smart at this so I would do research and ask people who know way more than I do.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After I posted, I did run across a consistent Do Not Dip Inverts via web.
I did read to use a toothbrush on snails to try and clean off any potential hitchhikers.
Slow drip (1-2 drops per second) shrimp and snails and speed up drops after 45min or so.
Roughly a 2hr drip due to invert sensitivity.

I'm so glad I ran across this thread, I am closing in on the start of my Cycle so this helps a ton.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I posted, I did run across a consistent Do Not Dip Inverts via web.
Yeah after I said you could I thought I may have been wrong and looked at the post I read again and it was just for acclimation and possible QT, so I am so sorry I gave you false info! I am still pretty new to this so I can be wrong, I'm glad the ones with more knowledge than me told you the right thing!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've acclimated thousands and thousands of marine fish. My first job as a young teenager was at an amazing fish store, I kept the job through college and learned a ton. The owner George was an amazing guy,he knew inverts, corals, freshwater fish, marine fish, diseases, and treatments. We rarely if ever lost a fish, even if they got very very sick. I honestly can't remember a time when we lost a fish because of our acclimation practices. Basically like others have said we didn't acclimate. The fish were floated until temperature equalized, they were then dumped into nets over buckets and placed in their tanks.

I personally have lost fish drip acclimating. Some fish cannot take the stress. I personally think ammonia is the culprit. Since then, I have always done what George taught me and it's always worked (for me).

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW, I've acclimated thousands and thousands of marine fish. My first job as a young teenager was at an amazing fish store, I kept the job through college and learned a ton. The owner George was an amazing guy,he knew inverts, corals, freshwater fish, marine fish, diseases, and treatments. We rarely if ever lost a fish, even if they got very very sick. I honestly can't remember a time when we lost a fish because of our acclimation practices. Basically like others have said we didn't acclimate. The fish were floated until temperature equalized, they were then dumped into nets over buckets and placed in their tanks.

I personally have lost fish drip acclimating. Some fish cannot take the stress. I personally think ammonia is the culprit. Since then, I have always done what George taught me and it's always worked (for me).

Interesting. I'll need to soak up more Searching.

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float for 15 to match temp and hand scoop in. Never had a loss.
I guess that works for some people but that's what we did before we had a huge tank crash because of velvet and lost all our fish so doing this thread has helped to get some good ideas to know better ways to help your fish thrive and survive..

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that works for some people but that's what we did before we had a huge tank crash because of velvet and lost all our fish so doing this thread has helped to get some good ideas to know better ways to help your fish thrive and survive..

I don't think anyone is suggesting to skip the QT process. You can never be too careful!

OP
OP
Josett Waid

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is suggesting to skip the QT process. You can never be too careful!
Oh no I wasnt thinking that! I think it's very vise to QT, I just don't want anyone new coming into this hobby like we did to end up losing all their fish, so I'm glad there's so many way to add fish to their tanks I guess what ever you believe is best is the way to go.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PaulB suggests skipping the QT process. However, he only recommends that for very experienced reefers. I don't qualify. I have 2 QT tanks and don't even do ttm!

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my case, I have zero saltwater tanks running, have yet to mix my first drop of salt. I do have a lot of tools for testing water (Milwaukee for salinity, redsea, salifert and hanna checkers for params) and I would like to take precaution with unwanted hitchhikers and put them in a qt tank.
Do I set up qt tank and just do 50% daily changes since I have no bacteria in the temp tank?
Anything else you guys can think of, pls post it.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Marine velvet is very scary stuff. 20 years ago it was very rare, now unfortunately it has become more common place in the aquarium trade. Ich has changed significantly in the last 20 years too. All of the years of people's trying to beat them with different treatments, unsuccessully has resulted in some very nasty treatment resistant variations. Quarantine (with proper protocols) is the only insurance available. Happy reefing!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I have zero saltwater tanks running, have yet to mix my first drop of salt. I do have a lot of tools for testing water (Milwaukee for salinity, redsea, salifert and hanna checkers for params) and I would like to take precaution with unwanted hitchhikers and put them in a qt tank.
Do I set up qt tank and just do 50% daily changes since I have no bacteria in the temp tank?
Anything else you guys can think of, pls post it.
I use an hob on my QT so I can let it grow bacteria. I just seed it with Biospira prior to use. I try not to do water changes to reduce stress on the fish in QT.

Lots of successful ways to do it though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back