How long to keen skimmer cup off?

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish picked up flukes/worms and I was able to catch it with only 1 death.

I dosed prazipro a 2 nights ago after taking the skimmer cup off for the oxygenation.

I was wondering if I should leave the cup off for the entire time Prazi runs the system (5-7 days right?) or can/when should I put it back on?

My fish are all back to full colour and usual personalities and eating most importantly.

Thanks in advance.

(Side note I was able to catch it and react quick enough thanks to all the useful information in these forums which I have been consuming day and night - double thanks)

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dosed prazipro a 2 nights ago after taking the skimmer cup off for the oxygenation.

I was wondering if I should leave the cup off for the entire time Prazi runs the system (5-7 days right?) or can/when should I put it back on?

My fish are all back to full colour and usual personalities and eating most importantly.

Thanks in advance.

(Side note I was able to catch it and react quick enough thanks to all the useful information in these forums which I have been consuming day and night - double thanks)
The full prazipro treatment requires a water change and a second dose at 8 days. While active flukes will drop off the fish when exposed to prazi, the eggs in the tank are still viable. Prazi loses it's potency rather quickly, hence the need for a second dose. Some people will even use a third round to be completely thorough. Throughout the treatment, you should use extra aeration. Airstones work great if you have them.

Are you confident in your diagnosis of flukes? Deaths are not usually rapid and symptoms are usually present for days. If a fish is heavily infected, death may actually occur after treatment begins. When the flukes drop off the body and gills, excessive bleeding can occur from the wounds that are exposed.

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 100% confident I saw a bunch of white fluke/worm like creatures leaving all my fishes bodies.

For the one that passed it was like a scene from horror movie when I did a freshwater dip with amount of them coming out of the body and holes left.

I think a few fish have had symptoms but were a lot tougher. The one that passed turned very quickly.

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no air stones handy which is why I took the cup off my skimmer.

Sounds like leave the cup off for the remainder of treatment unless I get some air stones.

Or will the frothing/airation from the skimmer continue to be crazy anyway?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no air stones handy which is why I took the cup off my skimmer.

Sounds like leave the cup off for the remainder of treatment unless I get some air stones.

Or will the frothing/airation from the skimmer continue to be crazy anyway?
The frothing is caused by the prazi. That's the reason the cup or its lid is removed. Skimmer aeration is valuable for sure, but air stones increase my confidence.
After the treatment is complete and water changes are made, the skimmer ovrflow will subside.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Thanks in advance.

It will be initial as skimmer will go nuts but will calm down after a couple of days due to the glycol in the treatment bottle

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question - are airstones of any benefit in a reef tank during normal operation?

I feel like I don’t see them used normally in marine tanks but always see them in freshwater tanks. Obviously with sumps and more pumps etc it’s not as needed.

I must say I don’t dislike the look but curious if there any serious pros or cons.

(mainly just musing to myself)

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question - are airstones of any benefit in a reef tank during normal operation?

I feel like I don’t see them used normally in marine tanks but always see them in freshwater tanks. Obviously with sumps and more pumps etc it’s not as needed.

I must say I don’t dislike the look but curious if there any serious pros or cons.

(mainly just musing to myself)
In general, aeration is a positive. However, with air stones, the problem for me is the fine spray / mist of salt water that sticks to everything it touches forming a salty crust. So I only use them when I need the extra aeration assist. Of course, this problem doesn't occur in fresh water.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 75.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.9%
Back