How long to QT CUC Inverts in Fish-less?

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a week+ since I added some CUC inverts to a fish-less QT, just some snails, what’s a good waiting time before adding them to my DT?

Is there a dip I should consider?

thanks

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go 14 days, enough time for any attached cysts to hatch, can I just give the snails a good washing in DT water and then add to the DT?

Will that be “good enough”?

I mean, what are the chances any free-swimmers even hatch, let alone rest on a snail, and then survive the move, and water-washing, to a new tank? …

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had my cuc in for 4 weeks i was going to do the full 72 days i think that would be best

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's really your choice. I just don't like tearing a tank apart to remove sick fish. I order my clean up crew pre-quarantined. Fish disease is worse now than 10-15 years ago…

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a week+ since I added some CUC inverts to a fish-less QT, just some snails, what’s a good waiting time before adding them to my DT?

Is there a dip I should consider?

thanks
Some dealers hold their CUC in fishless systems. For those, I sometimes just rinse them in clean seawater and put them right in. A better method is of course to hold them in a fishless system for 45 days.

Check the library section here for an article I just wrote on “biosecurity”.

Jay

OP
OP
Megability

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Jay Hemdal
Not to call anyone out but would you consider ReefCleaners a place from where you would be comfortable just rinsing and placing in DT, as you mention?

or any other specific suggestions?

I need a new CUC in my new DT and would rather not wait 45 days for every addition. I know I don’t “have to” but I want to -reasonably- minimize my chances of a bad outcome at least…

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to scrub the shells of snails and hermits with a coarse sponge and occasionally a little bit of peroxide on the shell (dabbed on with a paper towel) if they come from a tank that may have pest algae issues

BlackLitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still a possibility of dormant ich cyst after 45 days. Quarantine for 72 days to be certain it is gone. This time frame can be lowered if you keep the tank above 80.6.

Be careful with "quarantined" inverts. Many places say they do keep the inverts in fish-less systems. However, if they have high turnover, the inverts might have been in the ocean within 72 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Jay Hemdal
Not to call anyone out but would you consider ReefCleaners a place from where you would be comfortable just rinsing and placing in DT, as you mention?

I need a new CUC in my new DT and would rather not wait 45 days for every addition. I know I don’t “have to” but I want to -reasonably- minimize my chances of a bad outcome at least…

I was told that reef cleaners does not hold fish with their CUC. If that is true, then it is a fairly safe thing to do. I did that with an order from them this summer and had no issues, but that is a N of 1, so that isn't worth much!

Jay

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Jay Hemdal

I've placed 2 orders from ReefCleaners, all cerith snails, and both times it went straight into the DT (not even a rinse) with no issues.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that’s just for algae right?
Do you do anything to try and prevent or reduce fish issues?

That is just for shells of snails and hermits. I also dry the water on the outside of the shells with a paper towel before hand to get as little water from the bag into the QT. After that, I follow Jay's guide

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon tank with 200 plus astrea.... really need to get them out of this QT and into my DT... been going on 35 days now.. I know the golden rule is 76 days.. but this comes from one study... would be great to have more info on rates for ICK over 30 or 40 or 50 days....

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEBFE4F3-F46B-4134-AF38-5783BC540B5F.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEBFE4F3-F46B-4134-AF38-5783BC540B5F.jpeg

While I do use "rinse and go" as a depuration method, I only do that with invertebrates that came from a fishless system. Also remember, echinoderms have an open circulatory system, so any tomonts trapped inside can be carried through a simple rinse. Is that a huge risk? No, unless the starfish were coming from a tank with an active infection. But still, people will say, "sterilize your tank tools moving from tank to tank" due to water carryover, so the same risk applies to echinoderms.

This chart seems to deal mainly with tomonts of Amyloodinium and Cryptocaryon. Another big concern are Neobenedenia eggs. This is a common monogenean parasite and its eggs have sticky tendrils and attach to really anything that they can snag onto. Most of these eggs hatch within 12 days, but as with tomonts, it is those rare outliers (that take longer) that cause problems. I prefer to use at least 15 days for those, but 20 days is probably safer. In cases where adults Neo is present, the treatment needs to go for 35 days to break the life cycle (as with hypo treatments).

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back