How long to Quarantine?

Medic3170

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2021
Messages
32
Reaction score
18
Location
Budd Lake NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently upgraded from an old 55g to a RedSea 425. I have also set up a QT tank (doing things the right way). BUT how long do I leave the fish in there? I have two firefish, two Chromis and a wrasse. I am treating with copper, they have been in for two weeks, all doing well. Is this long enough?
 
So I recently upgraded from an old 55g to a RedSea 425. I have also set up a QT tank (doing things the right way). BUT how long do I leave the fish in there? I have two firefish, two Chromis and a wrasse. I am treating with copper, they have been in for two weeks, all doing well. Is this long enough?

I've always quarantined for 90 days.
 
You seem to have cleared QT from an observation standpoint. Usually it's 2 to 4 weeks in QT to only observe for possible illnesses..if everything checks out then your good to go. Prophylactic treatment is different...if you started treatment right away its kinda hard to tell if they had anything in the first place. 45 day qt is for fish that you know are sick and need treatment.. if they were never sick or showed symptoms in 2 to 4 weeks then off they go :)
 
Wow, I appreciate the information. But 9 weeks? Is this common practice? I've read 2-4 weeks. 9 is new to me.
For a prophylactic treatment QT (such as one where you're running copper), yes. As mentioned, though, observational QT's are typically only 2 weeks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new