How long to Quarantine?

Medic3170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently upgraded from an old 55g to a RedSea 425. I have also set up a QT tank (doing things the right way). BUT how long do I leave the fish in there? I have two firefish, two Chromis and a wrasse. I am treating with copper, they have been in for two weeks, all doing well. Is this long enough?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link below gives detailed information on the steps to take and the timeframe for each step:

OP
OP
M

Medic3170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link below gives detailed information on the steps to take and the timeframe for each step:
Wow, I appreciate the information. But 9 weeks? Is this common practice? I've read 2-4 weeks. 9 is new to me.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently upgraded from an old 55g to a RedSea 425. I have also set up a QT tank (doing things the right way). BUT how long do I leave the fish in there? I have two firefish, two Chromis and a wrasse. I am treating with copper, they have been in for two weeks, all doing well. Is this long enough?

I've always quarantined for 90 days.

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have cleared QT from an observation standpoint. Usually it's 2 to 4 weeks in QT to only observe for possible illnesses..if everything checks out then your good to go. Prophylactic treatment is different...if you started treatment right away its kinda hard to tell if they had anything in the first place. 45 day qt is for fish that you know are sick and need treatment.. if they were never sick or showed symptoms in 2 to 4 weeks then off they go :)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I appreciate the information. But 9 weeks? Is this common practice? I've read 2-4 weeks. 9 is new to me.
For a prophylactic treatment QT (such as one where you're running copper), yes. As mentioned, though, observational QT's are typically only 2 weeks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back