How loud is your Vortec QD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a MP10QD I recently got brand new and out of the box it was so loud I was worried it was going to fly apart in my tank. Ecotech sent me a new wet side and it is better now, but I still hear it from 10 feet away as it winds up and down. It makes a whirring / rumble type noise. Is this normal? I thought with as many good reviews for this product that it would be much more quiet. Is it possible I have a defective dry side? I would call Ecotech but my work schedule makes it so difficult.

here is the sound it made before the new wet side. after replacement, it is less but I still here the same noise from across the room:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a MP10QD I recently got brand new and out of the box it was so loud I was worried it was going to fly apart in my tank. Ecotech sent me a new wet side and it is better now, but I still hear it from 10 feet away as it winds up and down. It makes a whirring / rumble type noise. Is this normal? I thought with as many good reviews for this product that it would be much more quiet. Is it possible I have a defective dry side? I would call Ecotech but my work schedule makes it so difficult.

here is the sound it made before the new wet side. after replacement, it is less but I still here the same noise from across the room:

My mp40’s are very quiet. I would shoot them an email.

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah something is not right with that! I would definitely give them a call. Maybe check to see if you need to use (or remove) the provided spacer with your glass thickness, hard to tell from the video but it might help

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP40 QD, very quiet. Does not intrude on room noise at all.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is the tank glass? How long had it been running when video was taken? I ask because both of mine, purchased a year apart, were noisy for about a day after install. They are very quiet after that, not silent, but quiet at four feet from tank.

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definetly call ecotech up and see if you could send them a video. As long as i have the spacer on it, i can only hear the pump from the couch if its at 100% running. Even then it only sounds like a slight whine

ericb007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it get quieter? I just set one up in a nano. Can’t say its as loud as the video. But its loud. Louder than my return pump that I just replaced with a SICCE pump to reduce volume. Soooo back to the drawing board....

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jk. I’ve been using vortecs for a while and eventually they need service. This is one of the few expensive pieces of equipment that you can get repaired or serviced. They will repair them pretty reasonably and they’ve always been very helpful when it comes to warranting pumps and upgrading older models.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try lining it up again. Run it at full speed and gently move the wet side around until you find the sweet spot. My MP40s will sometime slip out of center and when it does it starts to rumble.

ericb007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jk. I’ve been using vortecs for a while and eventually they need service. This is one of the few expensive pieces of equipment that you can get repaired or serviced. They will repair them pretty reasonably and they’ve always been very helpful when it comes to warranting pumps and upgrading older models.
I complained too fast too. I think it just needed to settle. I have it at constant 40% which is tonnes of power for my tank.
The SICCE return pump is back to being the loudest piece of constant running equipment. (I don’t count my cheap cooling fans). Hahaha.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it took a long time... but it finally settled down. and I'm still running that same wet side that they sent me 3 years now. so I guess some break in is required. but seriously it was like months before it quieted down. I adjusted and adjusted and re-centered. finally gave up and just ran it at low speed. then later on it was fine.

Back