HOW MANY ALGAE SCRUBBERS?

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree right now I'm using an algae scrubber that I made for like 78$ (70$ on the innovative marine led 8$ for the actual scrubber) the competition tells me there is a market for this and once you see mine I think you will understand why I'm not nervous about that at all
As the largest manufacturer of them, I’ll jump in here and give you some advice. Take it for what you want...
When you added up your cost of the scrubber you built you forgot to add in your manufacturing and design time so add that to your cost and plus packaging (make sure that it can be dropped and not break) and UPC codes (if you’re going to distribute to stores or anyone else) and that’s your break even cost. That means you haven’t made a dime to pay for equipment or insurance (which I would recommend you get). So knowing the quantities we buy in, your product cost is around $100 if not more.
The reason that commercially available scrubbers cost what they do is because of that markups after that cost. You will have a distributor wholesale cost and then a wholesale price that the stores buy at which includes the distributor profit. Then the stores want their margin too. So off the top of my head, your product wouldn’t retail for less than $300 (probably closer to $350-400) to the end consumer by the time those margins are built in. Just some food for thought before you go spending a ton of money... good luck and welcome to the scrubber club!

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa Monica builds scrubbers for far less than $300 depending on size. Are you saying they are losing money? Not everything has to be sold at a 100% markup for a manufacturer to make money. Especially when buying bulk or having stuff produced in china

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am embarking on building a scrubber for and 800 gallon system. Will be building a similar waterfall style as many have before me. I will be following your progress with interest. Best of luck!

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa Monica builds scrubbers for far less than $300 depending on size. Are you saying they are losing money? Not everything has to be sold at a 100% markup for a manufacturer to make money. Especially when buying bulk or having stuff produced in china
Santa Monica doesn’t have $100 worth of manufacturing costs in his units either. You’re not comparing apples to apples.

If you’re going to have the product made in China then you have to find a manufacturer for it and then explain or show them how to make it. Also you have to find one that won’t rip off the design and then sell it themselves too.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And $300 was the retail cost. Many of his models cost more than that!

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought long and hard, designed and pondered this nano / AIO market. Ive made scrubbers, reactors etc for my AIO tanks.
I personally just don't have time, nor patience, but always like the idea of a scrubber.

I personally run algae reactors for my AIO / nano style tanks as they are very efficient, cost effective and #1- the maintenance is very easy.
That is key. Maintenance, And of course aesthetics. Nano tank owners usually don't want nor have room for clutter or ugly equipment.

The market is not as large vs. The saturation of products now that they are mass produced by many companies. BUT for a specific market, that could open up.

I wish you best of luck and hope to see an innovative product for us smaller tank people, I would invest in a product if it's truly unique and fits needs for my tank.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought long and hard, designed and pondered this nano / AIO market. Ive made scrubbers, reactors etc for my AIO tanks.
I personally just don't have time, nor patience, but always like the idea of a scrubber.

I personally run algae reactors for my AIO / nano style tanks as they are very efficient, cost effective and #1- the maintenance is very easy.
That is key. Maintenance, And of course aesthetics. Nano tank owners usually don't want nor have room for clutter or ugly equipment.

The market is not as large vs. The saturation of products now that they are mass produced by many companies. BUT for a specific market, that could open up.

I wish you best of luck and hope to see an innovative product for us smaller tank people, I would invest in a product if it's truly unique and fits needs for my tank.
We have already designed an AIO scrubber. We are going to release it after the holidays when the magnetic lamp is finished. Keep an eye out for it!

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, will it fit the Max nano? Nobody has one that will fit without it being an eyesore in the display. I could remove the skimmer I guess but that would bring other issues.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, will it fit the Max nano? Nobody has one that will fit without it being an eyesore in the display. I could remove the skimmer I guess but that would bring other issues.
Our AIO scrubbers will not be a one size fits all. They will be built specifically for each tank and manufacturer. Due to the fact that no tank manufacturer makes the filtration area the same as any other manufacturer. If you want to pm or email us we can get some info from you about the tank and get one designed.

OP
OP
The cats wrasse

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, it's now not by a window at all. Before it was right next to one that I left partially open year round for co2 issues. Only difference is I removed the 1.5-2" sandbed
Got ya ...well no worries b
As the largest manufacturer of them, I’ll jump in here and give you some advice. Take it for what you want...
When you added up your cost of the scrubber you built you forgot to add in your manufacturing and design time so add that to your cost and plus packaging (make sure that it can be dropped and not break) and UPC codes (if you’re going to distribute to stores or anyone else) and that’s your break even cost. That means you haven’t made a dime to pay for equipment or insurance (which I would recommend you get). So knowing the quantities we buy in, your product cost is around $100 if not more.
The reason that commercially available scrubbers cost what they do is because of that markups after that cost. You will have a distributor wholesale cost and then a wholesale price that the stores buy at which includes the distributor profit. Then the stores want their margin too. So off the top of my head, your product wouldn’t retail for less than $300 (probably closer to $350-400) to the end consumer by the time those margins are built in. Just some food for thought before you go spending a ton of money... good luck and welcome to the scrubber club!
Much appreciated I figured it would cost around 350 but it's a badwrasse scrubber

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you need a beta tester.. I’ll be here haha
Your .02 cents is worth much more than that to me I'll be sure to enlighten you on the design within the next week or so (once its patent is finished) and I would absolutely be up for something like that
[/QUOTE]

I’ll be a tester too if you need another!
Red Sea Reefer XL 525.
Plus this is a rescue tank that was very neglected to would be a better candidate than a perfectly clean tank.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many options out there for an AIO. I made one for my Waterbox 40.2.

Here's the post from my build thread.

I turned one of the chambers into an algea turf scrubber (ATS). I used 1/16" black ABS, 7 mesh plastic canvas and Tunze Refugium Light. The ABS I heated with a heat gun and bent it around a 2x4. I cut the ABS using tin snips.

Interested in seeing how it works out. Not sure what other options there would be out there for an AIO.

I currently have it scheduled to run opposite of my lighting, 10PM to 1030AM.

ATS (1).jpg

ATS (2).jpg

ATS (3).jpg

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think there are a lot going out the door per year. I just bought one a month ago. I would think it would be hard to bust throw the ones that are already out there unless you have a better price or something unique about your that makes it better/easier. Good luck I do wish you well.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mine out of a piece of plastic sheet. that hangs over a divider in my sump. Works great and super easy to clean/install. I think I paid $.50 for the plastic and $5 for the led light that lights my sump area. I pull a softball sized clump of algae off the plastic sheet every month in my 60 tank. Scrubbers don't need to be complicated, messy or expensive. KISS is rules to live by

OP
OP
The cats wrasse

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nothing for us big tankers?

Would you say your design is more efficient at growing, easier to maintain, or how exactly os it better than what we see now?

I would be interested if it's something that works and is convenient
Hey nitro a couple weeks ago we had talked about my scrubber and my patent was just fully finished so I'd like to send it out to some members and see what you think ...here is my upflow algae scrubber/protein skimmer I wo
I am embarking on building a scrubber for and 800 gallon system. Will be building a similar waterfall style as many have before me. I will be following your progress with interest. Best of luck!
Hey bud you were on one of my recent threads on algae scrubbers and I finally got a patent on my design so heres my baby id love for some input

Screenshot_20200107-161421_Gallery.jpg

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my scrubber and my patent was just fully finished so I'd like to send it out to some members and see what you think ...here is my upflow algae scrubber/protein skimmer I wo

Screenshot_20200107-161421_Gallery.jpg
Interesting. Do you have a working version of your skimmer/scrubber? A video would be great.
I can imagine some potential problems with it. Have you ironed those out?

cheers

OP
OP
The cats wrasse

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Do you have a working version of your skimmer/scrubber? A video would be great.

cheers
I'll have a "better" design but I have made a rough design which works quite well when you say potential problems what were you thinking?

OP
OP
The cats wrasse

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cheers
Also the problem with taking a video with the one I have now is that the filter isnt clear that's why I'm just sending the image at the moment

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back