A College Nano

WindyCityReefer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Long time lurker so I decided it was time to introduce myself as well as my nano. I am a graduate student at the University of Michigan but I am originally from Chicago (hence the username ;)). I was introduced to the hobby by my father at a young age - there were always aquariums around the house while growing up. So when I moved to Michigan for school I had a feeling that would not change! My only issue was finding something that would scratch my itch and not add additional stress to my school/study habits.

As you will see, my addiction and love for the hobby grew!

May 2017:
A1111423-0810-43BA-ACF4-4E53BDB031E6.jpeg

4DC205D5-6A79-45C3-B0DA-CDEF8941C112.jpeg

September 2018:
88E6F6C3-636A-40C9-8FD8-11629D6BAEFF.jpeg
181DBE2B-93CD-4B09-8D93-0EB693CF8A2F.jpeg
74E8CAF1-721E-49B1-9911-20009AAC3D65.jpeg
81787CD7-84A6-4F9C-84E0-75A267F0BA74.jpeg

The tank is 90% SPS and about 10% LPS/Zoas. The tank is fairly self-sustaining. Equipment list below:
  • Mightjet return pump
  • InTank media basket
  • GHL 2.1 doser
  • Nano heater with separate controller
  • IM ghost skimmer
  • Tunze nano ATO
You can see the tank has changed a lot over the course of a year. Looking at the photos myself, it is hard to believe what it used to look like. I can go more into detail about the system but for now I think people enjoy photos!

FFCAFE18-10E2-4A73-A6A0-903C475A5252.jpeg

3AABE255-DB9D-4989-840F-915B15A07048.jpeg

OP
OP
WindyCityReefer.

WindyCityReefer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! As well as the compliments on the tank :)

Here are a couple more photos of the tank. They are not in exact chronologic order, but I feel they give you the story behind the tank's growth.

I also apologize for the first post having huge photos! I was creating the thread from my phone.. did not realize they would come out that big. These should be a little easier on the eyes.

APC_0063-hdr.JPG

APC_0087-hdr.JPG
APC_0126-hdr.JPG
skydopple.jpeg

OP
OP
WindyCityReefer.

WindyCityReefer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I also attended a swap.. I swear swaps are my weakness! There I picked up a WWC Supafly (Superfly) chalice. First photo is WWC wwcsupafly.jpeg

Second is the frag I bought - I made the mistake of taking a photo right after dipping and remounting on a new plug. Definitely looked better beforehand! I will have to update it as it begins to grow.
supafly.jpeg

OP
OP
WindyCityReefer.

WindyCityReefer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way overdue update!

Well the system has changed drastically since my last posts. Here are some updates. I will post more if this one ends up going too long.

Winter/Spring 2019:
  • While away on an externship for school, the girlfriend accidentally scratched the entire front glass with a magnet cleaner. I had already been eyeing a tank upgrade due to space. That gave me all the more reason to upgrade and I decided on an IM 25 lagoon! I wanted to have more depth 3-dimensionally and this gave me just that.
  • In addition, I was accepted into a residency program at the University which meant I would be sticking around for at least another 2.5 years!
image321.jpeg

The transfer over. I now understand why SPS are called the building blocks of the ocean. All the rock was "glued" together by the SPS. I was amazed! It made it that much easier to transfer everything over.

image521.jpeg

image621.jpeg

image721.jpeg

Early Summer 2019:
  • Just as I was getting ready to graduate from my program, the tank was hit with a nutrient spike.. this caused a domino effect which ultimately took out my big colonies of Walt Disney, orange monti and BattleCorals Sky Dopple. Along with that, a lot of higher-end frags were lost. Thankfully all the LPS were unaffected.
Photos as everything was rebounding from the "mini-crash". As you can see, I already started to pick up some SPS frags to repopulate the tank.
99.jpeg

333.jpeg

Late Summer 2019/Early Fall:
  • As everything was starting to grow, I realized my AI Sol fixture was not going to cut it anymore. A lot of the SPS corals were experiencing die-off from shading and I was limited to placement of coral on the island.
  • After extensive research, I knew I wanted to go down the hybrid (LED/T5) route. I came across a fantastic deal on another forum for an ATI NanoBox Hybrid LED/T5 lighting system. The system includes 6x NanoBox arrays and 6x T5 sockets. While I realize this is overkill for the tank, I figured I could choose to use 2-4 of the T5 sockets. Furthermore, the ability to upgrade tanks in the future without worrying about lighting was a big selling point - along with a fantastic price!
IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

In action.
IMG_1521.jpg

Late Fall 2019/Early 2020:
  • The tank has pretty much been on auto-pilot. I am slowly making the tank more SPS dominant aside for a few favorite LPS pieces. Here are some updated shots as of last week.
IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

DSC_01472.JPG

DSC_01491.JPG

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

I am sure I will think of something that I missed. In the mean time, please enjoy the photos!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back