How many Clownfish can I keep?

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'm new to reef keeping so need some help and advice. I've read on the Internet that a person can't keep more than 2 clownfish per aquarium, is this true? My tank is 120L/32 gallons. My one LFS said I can keep more than 2 as long as its even numbers. They said i can keep 4 clownfish. Is this true and if so, should it be same species etc

Thanks guys :D :)

DRW0212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 32 I’d stick with only one pair but if you wanted to try out two pairs I’d do the same species and add them all at the same time.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank that size I second Dr.W's recommendation. It is often hard enough getting two clowns to play nicely, yet alone a harem or multiple pairs! And be aware that some species are more aggressive/difficult than others. Maroons and Tomatoes can be much more difficult.

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. I got the normal Ocellaris clownfish,was thinking of getting a pair of the black variant. But i think I'll just stick to one pair to play it safe

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that set-up, you’ll have the best success with a single pair ... if you had gone the two pair route, the dominant female from the first pair would likely take out the “intruders” -or- one fish from each set might form a new pair and then take out the other two.

harems are possible but you’ll have the best success starting with all juveniles from the same clutch.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do a herem, you cannot buy multiple pairs and put them together in a 32. What you can do is purchase baby clowns that are not female yet and put them together so they can make their own clown hierarchy.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a peaceful tank, I wouldn't advise a Harem in a 32 gallon (practically a nano!). 4 clowns may work out for about a year, but when they start pairing up, there's going to be a lot aggression If you want to experiment, just be prepared that you likely won't be able to keep all 4 longterm. A single pair would be perfect.

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that set-up, you’ll have the best success with a single pair ... if you had gone the two pair route, the dominant female from the first pair would likely take out the “intruders” -or- one fish from each set might form a new pair and then take out the other two.

harems are possible but you’ll have the best success starting with all juveniles from the same clutch.
Okay thank you. Yea I'll just stick to a pair. They also very small so super cute :)
Thanks for the help guys appreciate it!

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 in a 240 and it was a mistake. They all co-habit but they constantly chase and nip and the smallest male rarely comes out of hiding except to catch some food floating by

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Best to either:
Put in at the same time
OR
IF ADDING, add larger ones and introduce under low light

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back