How many copepods for 2 mandarin fish?

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent hundreds of dollars over the course of 3 months, had it adapt to frozen mysis and LRS Reef Frenzy and it still starved to death and that was just one. How big is the tank you are going to need a tank well over 100 gallons to support the rockwork, Massive amounts of Chaeto ect that pods require.

This is just not true. I have a mandarin in my 40breeder that i rescued from a fish store. Thing was nothing but bones. He is fat as a cow now.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh plenty of examples of healthy mandarins in nano tanks but those tanks are generally macro tanks or dirtier tanks with softies or perhaps LPS. The coral magazine highlights a breeding pair in a 29 biocube.

Basically your tank has to be able to grow pods fast enough. I have seen starving mandarins in ultra clean SPS tanks 100+gallons.

You can buy them but the numbers will always stabilize to what the tank can support.

If there is any fish being kept in your fuge/sump...remove them because having non down there makes me think something is eating them or your tank doesn't have enough food to support a large population.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back