How many drains / return (bulkheads) to still?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping to 1" at the split gives you return Nozzle options. There are no return fitting options other than basic PVC fittings once you go larger than 1" and even at 1" you're pretty limited to VCA Random flow Generators. As mentioned above going from one 1.5" line and splitting to two 1" returns will provide more flow than through the 1.5" and still give you return fitting options.

To set this up you would increase the 1.25 at the pump to 1.5 then purchase a reducing T or Y and install it as close to the return outlets as you can on the 1.5". This will split your return from 1.5 into two 1" lines with one fitting.

Personally I think if you would like to run dual pumps, have two entirely separate return lines. Oh and I'll add, whatever you do, DO NOT have holes drilled for 1.25" bulkheads. They are next to impossible to find lately and you might find yourself with holes in your tank you can't use...
Josh, there are options above 1" - and it is Canadian made! :) I have the 1" versions of these and they are the bomb.

1.5" Omni-Flex Nozzles from OceansMotions... you can adjust these to point anywhere you want. Available only in 1" & 1½".

1587483639403.png

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang! Thank you. The specs show the return section the same size for your model and the SS60 I was looking at. I was hoping they would fit side by side, but a picture is worth a thousand words. And it clearly looks like it won’t fit.

I wonder if the specs on bash sump is wrong or if the spec size for pump is wrong. Grrrr!!! That complicates things even more!

Really appreciate the follow up response. Thank you sir!!!!
Glad it helps ya. ETA: Oh, the specs on the sump are correct, I think each mfg measures their pumps differently and that could be what's causing some heartache.

I tell you, this sump is fantastic, just a work of art but I don't get why on such large sumps they use such small return sections. I have the 48x15x16 SS and it's huge, had to cut a rear brace out of my stand to get it in there! Now if you wanted to run the pumps externally then it wouldn't be a problem but man I'd hate to drill two holes in this beauty. If they could build your sump and leave out the dividing wall between the return section and the section with the plastic media you'd be in business, surely they wouldn't charge you for leaving out a piece of acrylic.

Last edited:

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin Whoa now those are sweet! What type of fittings can be attached to the Omni-flex nozzle? I have already purchased all the locline stuff to put onto my two returns but wasn't happy about having to drop from 1" to .75", these would fix that but would like the option of putting some type of nozzle or something on there...

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin Whoa now those are sweet! What type of fittings can be attached to the Omni-flex nozzle? I have already purchased all the locline stuff to put onto my two returns but wasn't happy about having to drop from 1" to .75", these would fix that but would like the option of putting some type of nozzle or something on there...
They are the nozzles. Just PVC slip at the end. I suppose you could add PVC slip fittings to accept other options. Seriously, I was using them on my closed loop in my 140, hooked up to a ReeFlo Dart. Believe me, there was no need for any type of nozzle other than the OmniFlex.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it helps ya. ETA: Oh, the specs on the sump are correct, I think each mfg measures their pumps differently and that could be what's causing some heartache.

I tell you, this sump is fantastic, just a work of art but I don't get why on such large sumps they use such small return sections. I have the 48x15x16 SS and it's huge, had to cut a rear brace out of my stand to get it in there! Now if you wanted to run the pumps externally then it wouldn't be a problem but man I'd hate to drill two holes in this beauty. If they could build your sump and leave out the dividing wall between the return section and the section with the plastic media you'd be in business, surely they wouldn't charge you for leaving out a piece of acrylic.
Thanks again! Actually that I double checked; the SS48 is 6x8.5 bit the SS60 is 7x8.5. So I wonder if that extra inch will allow me to turn sideways and fit two of them side by side. Just talking out loud. Appreciate the follow up!!!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh, there are options above 1" - and it is Canadian made! :) I have the 1" versions of these and they are the bomb.

1.5" Omni-Flex Nozzles from OceansMotions... you can adjust these to point anywhere you want. Available only in 1" & 1½".

1587483639403.png

I agree this definitely fits within the options for above 3/4", however it still doesn't provide the option of different nozzles which is what I was referring to when I said limited options.

To the OP another option even with the locline you already have purchased you can split the 1" to two 3/4" loclines and use whatever nozzle options you wish using these...

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! Actually that I double checked; the SS48 is 6x8.5 bit the SS60 is 7x8.5. So I wonder if that extra inch will allow me to turn sideways and fit two of them side by side. Just talking out loud. Appreciate the follow up!!!
I don't think that 1" will do it, if you zoom in on the pics I posted you'll see there isn't much room left there, another 2" "might" do it but even then I think it'd be close.

Do you think you need two return pumps? The tank I'm setting up right now is similar to yours though a little smaller, its about 140g. I had mine drilled for 1.5" main syphon(Bean Animal), other two are 1". I have two returns each 1" but reduced down to 3/4" because I had planned on using Loc-Line and all I found was 3/4" until Fin came along(Thanks Fin!). My Wave Makers are two of the RO Octopulse 4's. I do get the redundancy thing, did it myself on my last 180 but honestly I think you'll probably be ok with a single Varios 8, should move a good amount of water for you and I'm sure you're going to have some nice wave makers in the DT as well to get some good current flowing but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about those! ;)

Last edited:

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the nozzles. Just PVC slip at the end. I suppose you could add PVC slip fittings to accept other options. Seriously, I was using them on my closed loop in my 140, hooked up to a ReeFlo Dart. Believe me, there was no need for any type of nozzle other than the OmniFlex.
I think I may return all the 3/4" Loc-Line stuff I bought and go with those babies. Thanks for pointing them out to us Fin!

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that 1" will do it, if you zoom in on the pics I posted you'll see there isn't much room left there, another 2" "might" do it but even then I think it'd be close.

Do you think you need two return pumps? The tank I'm setting up right now is similar to yours though a little smaller, its about 140g. I had mine drilled for 1.5" main syphon(Bean Animal), other two are 1". I have two returns each 1" but reduced down to 3/4" because I had planned on using Loc-Line and all I found was 3/4" until Fin came along(Thanks Fin!). My Wave Makers are two of the RO Octopulse 4's. I do get the redundancy thing, did it myself on my last 180 but honestly I think you'll probably be ok with a single Varios 8, should move a good amount of water for you and I'm sure you're going to have some nice wave makers in the DT as well to get some good current flowing but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about those! ;)
Thank you. My tank will be 240g, 60g sump (obviously they won’t hold that much water, but it’s a big boy). I wasn’t worried about redundancy as much as I was right sized DC pump (sized not only in flow but physical dimensions). I may just purchase the two (2) Varios8 and not open one until I test the first on to see how it fits. Could always return second pump (if unopened). I appreciate your follow up.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back