How many drains / return (bulkheads) to still?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 240 has 4 holes in it. 2 for returns and 2 to feed the drains of which I have 4 leaving a rear overflow box. 2 drains are in use and 2 are emergency.
I use 2 Jebao DCP-4000 return pumps. I only have 15 inches of head. Each pump feeds a return. Each return is split into two RFG nozzles. I have 2 MP40s and 2 MP60 for flow as well.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 240 has 4 holes in it. 2 for returns and 2 to feed the drains of which I have 4 leaving a rear overflow box. 2 drains are in use and 2 are emergency.
I use 2 Jebao DCP-4000 return pumps. I only have 15 inches of head. Each pump feeds a return. Each return is split into two RFG nozzles. I have 2 MP40s and 2 MP60 for flow as well.
just curious; so your returns are plumbed separately / over the top?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion (old school reefer) ….

Drain is 'easy', three 1 1/2" bulkheads in a bean-style configuration (main siphon, secondary, emergency). Return probably generates more debate. I see little utility to splitting a return or using flow-robbing locline; particularly if most of the in-tank flow is achieved with powerheads. I have a single return that shoots down behind the main reef structure. Dual pumps seem fashionable these days, perhaps because folks don't 'trust' their shiny new DC pumps :). I have always used decades-reliable external pumps, so i do keep a drop-in replacement on hand, but I do not run them together.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My returns go through bulkheads in the back of the tank. 20 inches from each end if I remember right.
IMG_2386-L.jpg

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion (old school reefer) ….

Drain is 'easy', three 1 1/2" bulkheads in a bean-style configuration (main siphon, secondary, emergency). Return probably generates more debate. I see little utility to splitting a return or using flow-robbing locline; particularly if most of the in-tank flow is achieved with powerheads. I have a single return that shoots down behind the main reef structure. Dual pumps seem fashionable these days, perhaps because folks don't 'trust' their shiny new DC pumps :). I have always used decades-reliable external pumps, so i do keep a drop-in replacement on hand, but I do not run them together.
So dual outputs primarily esthetic? One return line with one output nozzle is sufficient (in theory)? I know lots of different ways to achieve the goal. Just wanted to make sure I have all the info I need to make good choices. Thank you!

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dual outputs primarily esthetic? One return line with one output nozzle is sufficient (in theory)? I know lots of different ways to achieve the goal. Just wanted to make sure I have all the info I need to make good choices. Thank you!

It's a preference. I personally wouldn't want my entire return shooting out of a 1" line. But others do. Which one you go with does affect you power heads though.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split my returns so I didn't have a large source of flow I had to point in one single direction all the time. With 2 pumps I can take one down or change it and everything keeps going.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split my returns so I didn't have a large source of flow I had to point in one single direction all the time. With 2 pumps I can take one down or change it and everything keeps going.
And in your set up, for basics, I’m looking at 5 bulkheads. 3 drains, 2 returns. Which was my original question (and everyone helped a lot, thank you). My decision now is 2 various for 850 total or 1 red dragon for 1150 (and split line but single bulkhead). Logic argues 2 for redundancy wins. At which point my answer should be 5 bulkheads (drain / plumbed lines) keeping returns separate.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, maybe not just aesthetic, but clear pros and cons. Extra holes, bulkheads, plumbing splits, acceleration nozzles all add complexity, additional points of failure and reduce total flow. If you have adequate in-tank flow from powerheads, splitting the return is of negligible benefit. Now, if you are truly going for 2,500+ gph, you will likely need to split it among at least a couple of returns lest a single one uproot your aquascape. Plus, you'll be hard pressed to get that much flow from a single pump so dual will likely be required.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, maybe not just aesthetic, but clear pros and cons. Extra holes, bulkheads, plumbing splits, acceleration nozzles all add complexity, additional points of failure and reduce total flow. If you have adequate in-tank flow from powerheads, splitting the return is of negligible benefit. Now, if you are truly going for 2,500+ gph, you will likely need to split it among at least a couple of returns lest a single one uproot your aquascape. Plus, you'll be hard pressed to get that much flow from a single pump so dual will likely be required.
Thank you! That complexity is exactly why I asked...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as you select pumps, keep in mind that a 72x32x24 tank only actually holds about 210 gallons (before displacement by rock, sand, etc.).

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I still call this preference. It is hardly complex to run two pumps and straight pipe them to returns. Or to have one pump and split them. Even split is less pressure and less likely to have a failure then all that pressure through one pipe.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hardly complex to run two pumps and straight pipe them to returns. Or to have one pump and split them. Even split is less pressure and less likely to have a failure then all that pressure through one pipe.

I used the term 'complexity' in a relative sense. There is really no debating that double the holes, bulkheads and plumbing connections adds complexity. Doesn't mean you cannot do it or that it will leak of course LOL …...

I don't follow your pressure logic at all.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the term 'complexity' in a relative sense. There is really no debating that double the holes, bulkheads and plumbing connections adds complexity. Doesn't mean you cannot do it or that it will leak of course LOL …...

I don't follow your pressure logic at all.

Is a fitting more likely to fail/leak with more or less pressure?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back