How many fish can I actually have?

keithdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-start with only a couple of fish, ideally the least aggressive/territorial of the fishes you want to ultimately add.
-Allow several months to pass before adding more fish, and only add them one-2 at a time. Give your tank time to develop equilibrium before adding more.
-keep an eye on nitrate. It should stabilize. If it’s continually rising, your tank is probably not mature and stable enough to keep adding fish
-feeding amply will (hopefully) help with aggression between fish, but it will cost you in terms of polluting water
-don’t try to follow any “rule” or formula. Your tank and its inhabitants will tell you if they are crowded or can’t handle the ammonia->nitrate load.
^^ ABSOLUTELY AGREE
Once you figure out WHAT kind of livestock is appropriate for your size system, and you know what tolerances your corals can handle, you can slowly build up the capacity of your system to accept and process more bioload (both feeding, and extraction from all that fish poo).
My issues with algae in the past have been directly related to increasing feeding too quickly (because of adding more than 1 fish at a time).
No one lives in a perfect world where we can consistently quarantine 1 fish at a time, and only then consider adding another. I'll settle for 2 at a time ;)

Google is your friend.
No - Google is the enemy ;)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back