How many hornet zoa are there really?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many actual varieties or hornet zoa are there? I have red/rainbow hornets (idk which), and I’ve got some others that were labeled king jawbreaker hornets but Im pretty sure they aren’t a true hornet. What constitutes a real hornet zoa and how many types are there?

Red-and/or- rainbow hornet pic (I think they’re red hornet) and the mysterious king JB hornet below.

622BDE23-8D34-49A4-8FCD-9747A69C2A59.jpeg 057961DB-F3F1-4DE3-B871-E4FB4724EFFD.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great question! I've wondered this too!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things that make a Hornet a "true" Hornet are:

1. Solid face color
2. Thin ring around the mouth, but the mouth can be any color
3. Alternating colored skirt, with one color matching the face, the other matching the ring

1635424096131.png

Only purple, blue, red and a few of the black varieties match all the characteristics of a "true" Hornet.

There are several varieties that meet some (but not all) of those criteria. Some are more Hornet-y than others.

I'm personally working on getting them all. I'm currently at 12 types and counting.

Last edited:

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list as I know it (so far):

Red
Purple
Blue
Black (Regular and PZ)
Ktar Black
Rainbow
Jawbreaker
King Jawbreaker
Murder
Frozen
UFO
Orange/Halloween (CB Orange are just rebranded Orange Oxides)
Tiger
Golden (2 different types)
CS Electric/ACC Super (they look the same to me)

And I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things that make a Hornet a "true" Hornet are:

1. Solid face color
2. Thin ring around the mouth, but the mouth can be any color
3. Alternating colored skirt, with one color matching the face, the other matching the ring

Only purple, blue, red and a few of the black varieties match all the characteristics of a "true" Hornet.

There are several varieties that meet some (but not all) of those criteria. Some are more Hornet-y than others.

I'm personally working on getting them all. I'm currently at 12 types and counting.
What 12 do you have?

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list as I know it (so far):

Red
Purple
Blue
Black (Regular and PZ)
Ktar Black
Rainbow
Jawbreaker
King Jawbreaker
Murder
Frozen
UFO
Orange/Halloween (CB Orange are just rebranded Orange Oxides)
Tiger
Golden (2 different types)
CS Electric/ACC Super (they look the same to me)

And I'm sure I'm missing a few.
Orange oxides are a type of hornet?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange oxides are a type of hornet?

IMO, no, they're not. Cornbread relabeled Orange Oxides as "Orange Hornets" (and doubled the price). I mean, I suppose you could say they are Hornet-ish, though.

There is another Orange Hornet type out there. It looks kind of like a UFO Hornet, only with an orange ring and more brown in the face. From what I can tell from pictures, they're also called Halloween Hornets (the two look the same to me).

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, no, they're not. Cornbread relabeled Orange Oxides as "Orange Hornets" (and doubled the price). I mean, I suppose you could say they are Hornet-ish, though.

There is another Orange Hornet type out there. It looks kind of like a UFO Hornet, only with an orange ring and more brown in the face. From what I can tell from pictures, they're also called Halloween Hornets (the two look the same to me).
Can you id. Middle right.
20210906_152927.jpg

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you id. Middle right.
20210906_152927.jpg

The face color is pretty washed out in that picture, but they look like Blue Hornets to me.

I'll add... There is another, older thread where we discussed Hornet types. It has a TON of pictures, and some great insight into older strains (Thanks to @littlebigreef for a lot of that).

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The face color is pretty washed out in that picture, but they look like Blue Hornets to me.

I'll add... There is another, older thread where we discussed Hornet types. It has a TON of pictures, and some great insight into older strains (Thanks to @littlebigreef for a lot of that).

Under more white than blue. Thank you for the link.

jtroxel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the same vein as this question, is there a poke dex somewhere where I can see all the different corals and their names? Like how does anyone know the difference between an jaw breaker and a king jaw breaker, or a ufo and an uncle jesse? Is there a place where these coral cultivators register their names for their new creations?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same vein as this question, is there a poke dex somewhere where I can see all the different corals and their names? Like how does anyone know the difference between an jaw breaker and a king jaw breaker, or a ufo and an uncle jesse? Is there a place where these coral cultivators register their names for their new creations?

The short answer is, not really. There are some online resources for IDing zoas, but they tend to be wiki-like (user submitted), so people submit their stuff under whatever name they bought it as. So there will probably be entries for BOTH CB Orange Hornet and Orange Oxides, and it'll be up to you to decide if they're the same. FWIW, I have seen CB Orange Hornets in person (bought directly from CB), and I own Orange Oxides. They're the same, even the guy who owned the CB zoas thought they were the same after seeing mine.

You can't even really trust pictures you see online a lot of times. Do a Google Image search for, say, Grand Master Krak. Now, in person I'd bet most of those zoas look pretty much alike. But, in pictures... so much color variance. Especially because of lighting, color saturation, etc. Some sellers are HORRIBLE about Photoshopping pics to make things look way different (Better?) than they do in person.

There are a few Facebook pages where you can post a picture and ask for help with a zoa ID, but I've seen one post get 8-9 different IDs and none of them (IMO) were correct. It's a crap shoot.

For Hornets specifically, I've been collecting them for a while now, so I've developed a bit of a network of people I've bought from that I trust. I'm also familiar with their pictures online compared to what I've actually received, so I have a good idea of what stuff will look like in my tank when it arrives.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The short answer is, not really. There are some online resources for IDing zoas, but they tend to be wiki-like (user submitted), so people submit their stuff under whatever name they bought it as. So there will probably be entries for BOTH CB Orange Hornet and Orange Oxides, and it'll be up to you to decide if they're the same. FWIW, I have seen CB Orange Hornets in person (bought directly from CB), and I own Orange Oxides. They're the same, even the guy who owned the CB zoas thought they were the same after seeing mine.

You can't even really trust pictures you see online a lot of times. Do a Google Image search for, say, Grand Master Krak. Now, in person I'd bet most of those zoas look pretty much alike. But, in pictures... so much color variance. Especially because of lighting, color saturation, etc. Some sellers are HORRIBLE about Photoshopping pics to make things look way different (Better?) than they do in person.

There are a few Facebook pages where you can post a picture and ask for help with a zoa ID, but I've seen one post get 8-9 different IDs and none of them (IMO) were correct. It's a crap shoot.

For Hornets specifically, I've been collecting them for a while now, so I've developed a bit of a network of people I've bought from that I trust. I'm also familiar with their pictures online compared to what I've actually received, so I have a good idea of what stuff will look like in my tank when it arrives.

Good ole zoabrary. The owner had given me access and I started uploading and updating pics but lost steam due to my move. Looking at my pics now smh. Someday I'll fire up a one stop blog. Someday.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowkey some of the coolest zoas. Seen some giant blue ones at the lfs once apon a time.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many actual varieties or hornet zoa are there? I have red/rainbow hornets (idk which), and I’ve got some others that were labeled king jawbreaker hornets but Im pretty sure they aren’t a true hornet. What constitutes a real hornet zoa and how many types are there?

Red-and/or- rainbow hornet pic (I think they’re red hornet) and the mysterious king JB hornet below.

622BDE23-8D34-49A4-8FCD-9747A69C2A59.jpeg 057961DB-F3F1-4DE3-B871-E4FB4724EFFD.jpeg
which is which hornet? Is there anything special about the jawbreaker? I was thinking on bidding on one! I have black hornets now at least I think thats what they were called but they are very dark with bright yellowish skirts

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have...

Red
Blue
Purple
Ktar Black
Rainbow
Jawbreaker
King Jawbreaker
Golden
UFO
Frozen
Murder
Tiger

I had a nice colony of regular Black too, but a stubborn sponge growing on the plug choked them out. :(
what is the difference between the jawbreaker and the king JB. Do any of the classify as high end?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back